Electric field on the axis of a ring-shaped charged conductor

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 1K views
yashboi123
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
A ring-shaped conductor with radius a = 2.20 cm has a total positive charge Q = 0.130 nC uniformly distributed around it
Relevant Equations
E = F/q
1706663702409.png

Hello. I was wondering why do we not multiply cos(alpha) by 2. I believe we should do this since the y-components of the electric field cancel out, meaning there would be 2 x-components of the electric field(at least I think so). Currently, this derivation/answer only considers one horizontal component, not the other half.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How does it only consider one horizontal component when the integration is from ##0## to ##2 \pi##?

The integration bounds take care of this “doubling up effect”.

If you did it from ##0## to ##\pi## you would certainly have to multiply by 2 at the end.