1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field question help. Fairly simple but think I'm making small mistakes

1. Feb 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The electric field at the point x=5.00 cm and y=0 points in the positive x direction with a magnitude of 10.0 N/C. At the point x=10.0 cm and y=0, the electric field points in the positive x direction with a magnitude of 15.0 N/C. Assuming the field is produced by a single point charge, find (a) it's location and (b) the sign and magnitude of its charge

2. Relevant equations
    E= kq/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

1.5E1=E2

1.5 kq / x^2 = kq/ (x-5)^2

1.5(x-5)^2 = x^2

used quadratic, got x=27.2 , assumed charge is positive because E field strength increases as you move in the positive x direction.
    BUT I think my reasoning might be wrong..

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi KatherineK, welcome to PF!:smile:

You might be confusing yourself with this notation; what does the "x" in this equation represent?

Are you assuming that the charge is located along the x-axis (y=0)? If so, what is your reasoning to support this assumption?

4. Feb 8, 2010 #3
    I was making x the distance the charge is from the first electric field (10 N /C)
    and yes, I am assuming the charge is on the x axis

5. Feb 8, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should probably use a different variable then, so whoever is marking your assignment doesn't think that you are using it to represent the x-coordinate of the point charge.

Okay, but why?... If you want full credit for your solutions, you should always support any assumptions you make with reasonable arguments.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook