Electric field of a spherical conductor with a dipole in the center

In summary, the electric field outside a spherical metal shell with a point dipole in the center is zero because the net charge inside the shell is zero.
Jelsborg
Homework Statement
Calculate the E field outside concentric spherical shell with point dipole in center
Relevant Equations
Gauss' law/Field of a dipole
In a recent test we were asked to calculate the electric field outside a concentric spherical metal shell, in which a point dipole of magnitude p was placed in the center.
Given values are the outer radius of the shell, R, The thickness of the shell, ##\Delta R## and the magnitude of the dipole moment p

I am very tempted to say that the electric field outside the conductor is 0 due to the plus and minus side of the inner dipole inducing equal amounts of positive and negative charge on the inside of the shell.
This would leave no residual charge to reside on the outer surface of the shell, which by invoking Gauss' law means that $$Q_{enc}=0 \rightarrow E=0$$
I am not entirely sure of this argumentation and would like some input as I am aware that you would normally compute the electrical field generated far from a dipole by the formula $$E_{dip}=\frac{p}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}r^{3}} \cdot (2 cos{\theta}\hat{r}+sin{\theta}{\hat{\theta}})$$

So my 2nd thought would be that somehow the field from the dipole moment inside the empty space in the sphere would make the sphere reallocate plus and minus charges in a way that effectively makes the sphere itself seem like a dipole when viewed from far away.
However, my guess would be that this is flawed since this would violate the condition that the conductors boundary be an equipotential, and also violating the condition that ##E=0## inside the conductor (right?)

Can someone provide feedback on my line of thinking and correct me where/if I'm wrong?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your second answer is right. ##Q_{enc} \Rightarrow \vec{E} = 0## only for distributions with symmetry This problem does not lend itself to Gauss's Law. ##\vec{E} = 0## inside a conductor is always true for the static case you need not worry about substantiating it on a test, it is proved generally (i.e. without assuming symmetry) in one of the uniqueness theorems.

Also, one of the corollaries of the uniqueness theorem(s) is that a conductor shields from outside fields but not inside fields.

Your first supposition is correct: E = 0 everywhere outside the sphere whenever the net charge inside the shell is zero. So, no matter where you place the dipole inside the shell, there will be no electric field outside.

There are different ways to show this. One way is essentially your argument that if there were any induced charge on the outer surface, then the net charge on the outer surface would have to be zero (via Gauss' law). But, as you said, any distribution of both positive and negative charge densities on the outer surface would prevent the outer surface of the conductor from being an equipotential surface.

Likes PhDeezNutz
TSny said:
Your first supposition is correct: E = 0 everywhere outside the sphere whenever the net charge inside the shell is zero. So, no matter where you place the dipole inside the shell, there will be no electric field outside.

There are different ways to show this. One way is essentially your argument that if there were any induced charge on the outer surface, then the net charge on the outer surface would have to be zero (via Gauss' law). But, as you said, any distribution of both positive and negative charge densities on the outer surface would prevent the outer surface of the conductor from being an equipotential surface.

On second thought you are right, I just looked in Griffiths

Second Uniqueness Theorem: In a volume ##\mathcal{V}## "surrounded" by conductors and containing a specified a specified charge density ##\rho## (In this case ##\rho_{outside} = 0##), the electric field is uniquely determined if the total charge on each conductors is given. (The region as a whole can be bounded by another conductor, or else unbounded)

The outside of the conducting shell is the boundary surface and it has 0 total charge.

Hi there,

Late to the party here but I guess this will benefit someone else in the future

I just happened to take a test that had this question. I want to provide you with my answer.

There are many ways to solve this but I use spherical harmonics solution and matched the B.C.s
The crucial part of this problem is to write down the correct B.C.s. What makes it tricky is the behavior of the potential when r->0. V doesn't go to zero, instead, it goes like a potential of a dipole, which is
$$ V(r\rightarrow 0) = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{p\cos{\theta}}{r^2}$$,
Then the rest is very straightforward, you have continuity at r = R and ##r = R + \Delta R##, and also
$$V(R) = V(R + \Delta R)$$
(from the property of conductor),
Last but not least,
$$V(r\rightarrow\infty) = 0$$

So with those B.C.s, I believe you can figure out the rest.

Last edited:

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force exerted on a charged particle by other charged particles in its surroundings.

2. How is the electric field of a spherical conductor with a dipole in the center calculated?

The electric field of a spherical conductor with a dipole in the center can be calculated using the formula E = kq/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge of the dipole, and r is the distance from the dipole to a point in the electric field.

3. What is a dipole in the context of electric fields?

A dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges that are separated by a small distance. In the context of electric fields, a dipole creates an electric field that is stronger near the charges and weaker in between them.

4. How does the presence of a dipole affect the electric field of a spherical conductor?

The presence of a dipole in the center of a spherical conductor causes the electric field to be non-uniform. This means that the strength and direction of the electric field will vary at different points around the conductor.

5. Can the electric field of a spherical conductor with a dipole in the center be manipulated?

Yes, the electric field of a spherical conductor with a dipole in the center can be manipulated by changing the charge of the dipole or the distance between the dipole and the point in the electric field. Additionally, the shape and size of the conductor can also affect the electric field.