1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential and kinetic energy

1. Feb 20, 2008 #1

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A point charge Q is fixed in position, and a second object with charge q and mass m moves directly toward it from a great distance. If the initial speed of the object is v, compute the minimum distance between the two objects. If Q=1.0 μC, q=1.0 nC, m=1.0*105 kg, and v= 3.0*105m/s, what is the minimum distance of approach?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
    \frac{{kQq}}{{r_1 }} + \frac{1}{2}mv_0^2 = \frac{{kQq}}{{r_2 }} + \frac{1}{2}v_f^2 ,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,v_f = 0 \\
    \\
    \frac{{kQq}}{{r_1 }} + \frac{1}{2}mv_0^2 = \frac{{kQq}}{{r_2 }} \\
    \\
    r_2 = \frac{{kQq}}{{\left( {\frac{{kQq}}{{r_1 }} + \frac{1}{2}mv_0^2 } \right)}} \\
    \\
    r_2 = \frac{{8.99 \times 10^9 {\rm{N}} \cdot \frac{{{\rm{m}}^{\rm{2}} }}{{{\rm{C}}^{\rm{2}} }}1.0\mu {\rm{C}} \cdot 1.0{\rm{nC}}}}{{\left( {\frac{{8.99 \times 10^9 {\rm{N}} \cdot \frac{{{\rm{m}}^{\rm{2}} }}{{{\rm{C}}^{\rm{2}} }}1.0\mu {\rm{C}} \cdot 1.0{\rm{nC}}}}{{r_1 }} + \frac{1}{2}1.0 \times 10^{ - 5} \cdot 3.0 \times 10^5 } \right)}} \\
    \end{array}[/tex]

This reminds me somewhat of gravity's escape velocity problem, where your final distance is irrelevant as long as it is large (theoretically infinity).

How do I dismiss r1, the initial starting position in this problem? Can I just get rid of the entire first term in the denominator, since when r1 is large, it approaches 0?

Thanks!

**edit, 3*105 should be (3*105)2. I get 2*10-11 meters for the answer. Did I do this right?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2008 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Your answer is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?