Electric Potential Energy and Electric Potential?

In summary: I go along with SammyS. The unit of potential is JOULE per COULOMB and the unit of potential energy is JOULE.Potential refers to a region of space if you like and potential energy refers to a charge brought into the space. There is a direct analogy with gravitation.The unit of gravitational potential is JOULE per kgThe unit of gravitational potential energy is JOULEHope this helpsIn summary, electric potential energy is the potential energy due to an electric field and is usually applied to a particle or system of particles. Electric potential, on the other hand, is defined as the potential energy per unit charge for a charged particle due to an electric field. It can also be referred to as voltage in electric circuits.
S.R

Homework Statement

What's the difference between electric potential energy and electric potential?

Can someone explain these concepts, simply? I don't understand any definitions I've found on the internet. Any help would be appreciated.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A

Physics news on Phys.org
S.R said:

Homework Statement

What's the difference between electric potential energy and electric potential?

Can someone explain these concepts, simply? I don't understand any definitions I've found on the Internet. Any help would be appreciated.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A

This is not a coursework question.
Hello S.R. Welcome to PF.

electric potential energy is Potential Energy due to an electric field. It is usually applied to a particle or system of particles.

electric potential is a somewhat different concept. It can be defined as the Potential Energy per unit charge for a charged particle due Electric Field. In other words, it's the electric potential energy at a particular location that a particle with a unit charge would have.

Those are off the top of my head, so I hope my head's on straight tonight. :smile:

SammyS said:
Hello S.R. Welcome to PF.

electric potential energy is Potential Energy due to an electric field. It is usually applied to a particle or system of particles.

electric potential is a somewhat different concept. It can be defined as the Potential Energy per unit charge for a charged particle due Electric Field. In other words, it's the electric potential energy at a particular location that a particle with a unit charge would have.

Those are off the top of my head, so I hope my head's on straight tonight. :smile:

Thanks, Sammy. Is electric potential referred to as voltage?

S.R said:
Thanks, Sammy. Is electric potential referred to as voltage?
It often is referred to as voltage in electric circuits.

I go along with SammyS. The unit of potential is JOULE per COULOMB and the unit of potential energy is JOULE.
Potential refers to a region of space if you like and potential energy refers to a charge brought into the space.
There is a direct analogy with gravitation.
The unit of gravitational potential is JOULE per kg
The unit of gravitational potential energy is JOULE
Hope this helps

1. What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the potential energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is the energy required to move a charged particle from one point to another in an electric field.

2. How is electric potential energy calculated?

Electric potential energy is calculated by multiplying the charge of the particle by the electric potential at that point in the field. The formula is U = qV, where U is the electric potential energy, q is the charge of the particle, and V is the electric potential at that point.

3. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of electric potential energy that a unit charge possesses at a certain point in an electric field. It is a measure of how much work would be required to bring a unit charge from infinity to that point in the electric field.

4. How is electric potential different from electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field, while electric potential energy is the total energy possessed by a charged particle due to its position in an electric field.

5. How does electric potential affect charged particles?

Electric potential affects charged particles by exerting a force on them, causing them to move towards or away from areas of higher or lower electric potential. It also determines the direction and magnitude of the electric field that the particles experience.