Electric Potential Energy Inside a Charged Sphere

In summary, the point charge q<0 lies just outside a uniformly and positively charged ball. The charge can pass through the ball freely, but due to the negative energy the charge gains, it must move closer to the center of the ball in order to maintain its position.
Yoni V

Homework Statement

A point charge q<0 lies just outside a uniformly and positively (non-conducting) charged ball.
Assume the charge can pass through the ball freely. Describe the motion of the charge.

Homework Equations

Coulomb's force law, energy equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously this is simple harmonic motion and easily solved using coulomb's force law and Gauss' law, so I wouldn't even bother writing it down.
The only thing that puzzles me is the energy of the system. We get:
U(r)=kq[4/3πr3ρ]/r=kq4/3πρr2

Since q<0, the equation yields negative values inside the sphere and 0 for r=0.

This implies that the motion from the edge of the ball towards the center requires energy, which contradicts the obvious spontaneous motion of the point charge.

What am I misinterpreting?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yoni V said:
Assume the charge can pass through the ball freely. Describe the motion of the charge.
Obviously this is simple harmonic motion and easily solved using coulomb's force law and Gauss' law, so I wouldn't even bother writing it down.
Thanks
Are you sure it's SHM? What is the field inside the sphere?

Well, it is equivalent to the gravitational example of drilling a tunnel through the center of the earth. Both are inverse-square forces and can be proved that the effective force is only due to the inner portion of the ball.
Using Coulomb and Gauss laws we get:
F=k(4/3πr3ρ)(-q)/r2=-(4/3πρkq)r=mqa
Which gives SHM with ω2=4/3πρkq/mq

Am I mistaken?

Yoni V said:
Well, it is equivalent to the gravitational example of drilling a tunnel through the center of the earth. Both are inverse-square forces and can be proved that the effective force is only due to the inner portion of the ball.
Using Coulomb and Gauss laws we get:
F=k(4/3πr3ρ)(-q)/r2=-(4/3πρkq)r=mqa
Which gives SHM with ω2=4/3πρkq/mq

Am I mistaken?
Where does the charge q start?

At the outer edge of the ball (say at r=R)

Yoni V said:
At the outer edge of the ball (say at r=R)
It says 'outside'.

Anyway, to answer your original question, potential energy is always relative to an arbitrary reference value. You have chosen it to be zero at the sphere surface. That will make it negative inside. Not sure why you think that means it will require energy to penetrate the sphere. Just think that through again.

Oh, I meant just on the edge, such that it can "fall" freely into the ball.
English is not mother tongue, so sorry for being unclear.

Anyway, yes- the value itself is meaningless, but nonetheless given the above equation it increases as the value of r decreases.
Using the formula for the potential energy U=kq1q2/r (+ const.) and applying the superposition principle and Gauss' law we get
U(r)=(4/3)πρkqr2 (+ const=0).
Because q<0 and ρ>0 the energy is negative for all r>0 and zero for r=0, which means that the energy increases as I said above.

Surely my derivation of the potential energy is somehow incorrect, or perhaps it's my interpretation, but I don't understand what's wrong with it.

Thanks again

Yoni V said:
Because q<0 and ρ>0 the energy is negative for all r>0 and zero for r=0
Oh, I'm sorry - it's me that needed to read what you wrote again.
It's not just the energy that has the wrong sign, the force does too. It seems to stem from this:
Yoni V said:
F=k(4/3)πr3ρ(-q)/r2
Why have you inserted a minus sign on the q?

What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the potential energy that results from the interaction between two charged particles. It is the amount of energy required to move a charged particle from one location to another in an electric field.

How is electric potential energy related to charged spheres?

In the case of a charged sphere, the electric potential energy is caused by the interaction between the charged particles within the sphere and the electric field surrounding it. The amount of electric potential energy is determined by the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them.

What factors affect the electric potential energy inside a charged sphere?

The electric potential energy inside a charged sphere is affected by the magnitude of the charges, the distance between them, and the dielectric constant of the material that makes up the sphere. The dielectric constant is a measure of how easily the material can be polarized by an electric field.

How is the electric potential energy inside a charged sphere calculated?

The electric potential energy inside a charged sphere can be calculated using the formula U = kQ1Q2/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them. This formula assumes that the sphere is a point charge, so for a more accurate calculation, the sphere should be divided into smaller charged elements and the electric potential energy of each element should be added together.

How does the electric potential energy inside a charged sphere affect its behavior?

The electric potential energy inside a charged sphere affects its behavior by determining how the charged particles within the sphere will interact with each other and with other charged particles in the surrounding environment. This interaction can result in a variety of effects, such as a repulsive or attractive force between the charged particles, or the creation of an electric field that can influence the behavior of other charged objects.