1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electric Potential Energy of Three Point Charges

1. Jul 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Three equal point charges, each with charge 1.95 nanoC , are placed at the vertices of an equilateral triangle whose sides are of length 0.550m . What is the electric potential energy of the system? (Take as zero the potential energy of the three charges when they are infinitely far apart.)
    Use = 8.85×10−12 for the permittivity of free space.

2. Relevant equations

U = kQ1Q2/r

3. The attempt at a solution

So I know how to go about solving the problem. I take the potential energy between points 1 and 2, 1 and 3, and then 2 and 3 and sum them together.

OR since it is equilateral and all the same charge and I skip a little.

U=3KeQ2/r right?

When I do these steps I come to a final answer of 9.56E-8 J but know that this is not right, first because Mastering Physics told me I was wrong, second because I know that it cannot approach zero unless the distance is approaching infinity. Any suggestions on where I am going wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2010 #2
    Oh wow. Haha. Okay guys I figured it out. It wasn't nano Coulomb it was micro. Got the answer on the last try.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook