Electric Potential (I think I'm close?)

In summary, the problem asks for the point or points on the y-axis where the electric potential is zero, given a -3.2 { nC} charge at x_1 = -9 {cm} and a 14.6 {nC} charge at x_2 = 16 {cm} on the x-axis. The equation (1/4*pi*epsilon_0)*[(q1/r2) + (q2/r2)] = 0V is used to solve for these points, with the attempt at a solution being to set (q1/r2) equal to (q2/r2). However, a
Radanie

Homework Statement

A -3.2 { nC} charge is on the x-axis at x_1 = -9 {cm} and a 14.6 {nC} charge is on the x-axis at x_2 = 16 {cm}.

***At what point or points on the y-axis is the electric potential zero?

Homework Equations

(1/4*pi*epsilon_0)*[(q1/r2) + (q2/r2)] = 0V

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I've tried solving it is by setting (q1/r2) = (q2/r2)
So 3.2*sqrt((16 cm)^2 + y^2) = 14.6*sqrt((-9 cm)^2 + y^2)
Eventually getting -14644.52 = 202.92 y^2
And y = +/- 8.5

Unfortunately this answer isn't being marked as correct. Does anyone see something wrong with the way I'm trying to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens when you square -9?

Hint: [tex](y-y_0)^2[/tex]

What is electric potential?

Electric potential, also known as voltage, is the amount of work that must be done to move a unit of positive charge from one point to another in an electric field.

How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric field is a measure of the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric field, while electric potential is a measure of the potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field.

What are the units of electric potential?

The standard unit of electric potential is volts (V), which is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C).

How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential can be calculated using the equation V = W/Q, where V is the electric potential, W is the work done on the charge, and Q is the magnitude of the charge.

What is the relationship between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy a charged particle has due to its position in an electric field, while electric potential is the potential energy per unit charge. The relationship between the two is given by the equation PE = QV, where PE is the electric potential energy, Q is the charge, and V is the electric potential.