Electric Potential in Coiled Blood Vessels?

In summary, the movement of ions through blood vessels does not create a sufficient current to form a biological solenoid. This is due to the lack of net charge in blood and other body fluids, as well as the buffering effects of proteins. Additionally, the anion gap in the body is not a reliable indicator of net charge. This concept is more relevant in the context of micro-currents and resting potentials in muscles and nerves.
petersdt
The basis behind electric energy is the movement of electrons or ions through a wire or medium. That is simple. I know that blood vessels carry ions such as K+, Cl-, and Na+ through them in varying concentrations.

What I want to know is if it would be viable to create a biological solenoid by using a scaffold or some other means to coil a blood vessel. Here are a few questions I have thought of.

-would there be sufficient current created by ionic species traveling through a blood vessel?
-what size, number of coils, and interluminal blood velocity might be needed?
-would internal sheer stresses created by the coiling be too much?

I understand that this is a pretty complicated and hypothetical question and I don't really expect an "answer". I am mainly here for brainstorming purposes.

Thanks for your help.

Biology news on Phys.org
petersdt said:
The basis behind electric energy is the movement of electrons or ions through a wire or medium. That is simple. I know that blood vessels carry ions such as K+, Cl-, and Na+ through them in varying concentrations.

What I want to know is if it would be viable to create a biological solenoid by using a scaffold or some other means to coil a blood vessel. Here are a few questions I have thought of.

-would there be sufficient current created by ionic species traveling through a blood vessel?
-what size, number of coils, and interluminal blood velocity might be needed?
-would internal sheer stresses created by the coiling be too much?

I understand that this is a pretty complicated and hypothetical question and I don't really expect an "answer". I am mainly here for brainstorming purposes.

Thanks for your help.

This may be more of a physics question, but blood and other body fluids carry no net charge. Proteins in particular buffer disassociated acids. It's mostly such unmeasured anions that fill the so called "anion gap" which is merely a useful figure of speech. When the the anion gap is increased above normal, this is an indication of extracellular metabolic acidosis such as as might be seen with diabetic ketoacidosis, but there is still no net charge except perhaps very briefly and randomly at the molecular level. Essentially, we see the consumption of base (such as bicarbonate ions) and compensation mechanisms by way of the kidneys and lungs.

EDIT: This is not to be confused with the micro-currents and resting potentials associated with polarization and depolarization of muscles and nerves.

Last edited:

1. What is electric potential in coiled blood vessels?

Electric potential in coiled blood vessels refers to the difference in electrical charge between the inside and outside of the vessel walls. This potential is created by the movement of ions and other charged particles within the blood and vessel walls.

2. How does electric potential affect blood flow?

The electric potential in coiled blood vessels plays a role in regulating blood flow by influencing the contraction and relaxation of the vessel walls. Changes in electric potential can cause the vessel walls to constrict or dilate, altering the flow of blood through the vessel.

3. What factors influence electric potential in coiled blood vessels?

Several factors can influence electric potential in coiled blood vessels, including the concentration of ions and other charged particles in the blood, the diameter of the vessel, and the activity of nerve cells that control the vessel walls.

4. How is electric potential measured in coiled blood vessels?

Electric potential in coiled blood vessels can be measured using a technique called microelectrode recording. This involves inserting a tiny electrode into the vessel to measure the electrical activity of the cells in the vessel walls.

5. What are the potential applications of studying electric potential in coiled blood vessels?

Studying electric potential in coiled blood vessels can provide insights into the mechanisms of blood flow regulation and may have potential applications in the treatment of cardiovascular diseases. It can also help in understanding the effects of certain medications and environmental factors on blood flow.