Electric Potential of 2 positive charges, and the speed

In summary, the conversation involves solving for the electric potential at point A on the y-axis and the speed of a charged particle at the origin. The equations required are Gauss's Law and the definition of electric potential, and the approach involves using superposition to calculate the potential due to each charge separately and then adding them together. The textbook or coursework likely has the necessary equations already provided.
GenericPhy
QUESTION 1

Homework Statement

Two positive charges, each with Q = +10 µC, are fixed to the x-axis at x = +a and x = -a, where a = 4 m.

(a) Find the electric potential at point A on the y-axis where (xA, yA) = (0, b) and b = 5 m. Take the zero of potential to be at infinity.

(b) A particle with charge q = -4 µC and mass m = 2.2 x 10-4 kg is released from rest at point A. Find its speed at the origin.

Homework Equations

Gauss's Law?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to use superposition to calculate the potential at point A due the left-hand charge and add it to the potential at A due to the right-hand charge...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello GenericPhy,
Welcome to Physics Forums!
GenericPhy said:

Homework Equations

Gauss's Law?
Gauss' law alone won't give you the solution to this problem. You need to look up the definition of electric potential. More-so, I'm betting that your textbook/coursework already has the equation for the electric potential of point charges already worked out for you.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to use superposition to calculate the potential at point A due the left-hand charge and add it to the potential at A due to the right-hand charge...
Superposition. Yes, that is part of the correct approach. After you arrive at the correct equation for electrical potential, show us what you can do with it! :cool:

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field.

How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the potential energy by the charge of the particle at that point.

What is the relationship between electric potential and electric field?

Electric potential is closely related to electric field. The electric field is the gradient of the electric potential, meaning that it is the change in potential per unit distance.

What is the effect of adding 2 positive charges on electric potential?

Adding 2 positive charges will increase the electric potential at the location of the charges. This is because the presence of the charges creates an electric field that adds to the existing electric potential.

How does the speed of the charged particles affect electric potential?

The speed of charged particles does not directly affect electric potential. However, it can indirectly impact electric potential by changing the amount of electric potential energy that is converted into kinetic energy as the particles move through the electric field.