1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electric Potential of 2 positive charges, and the speed

1. Sep 14, 2010 #1
    QUESTION 1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two positive charges, each with Q = +10 µC, are fixed to the x-axis at x = +a and x = -a, where a = 4 m.

(a) Find the electric potential at point A on the y-axis where (xA, yA) = (0, b) and b = 5 m. Take the zero of potential to be at infinity.

(b) A particle with charge q = -4 µC and mass m = 2.2 x 10-4 kg is released from rest at point A. Find its speed at the origin.

2. Relevant equations

Gauss's Law?

3. The attempt at a solution

I know I need to use superposition to calculate the potential at point A due the left-hand charge and add it to the potential at A due to the right-hand charge...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2010 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello GenericPhy,
    Welcome to Physics Forums!
    Gauss' law alone won't give you the solution to this problem. You need to look up the definition of electric potential. More-so, I'm betting that your textbook/coursework already has the equation for the electric potential of point charges already worked out for you.
    Superposition. Yes, that is part of the correct approach. After you arrive at the correct equation for electrical potential, show us what you can do with it! :cool:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook