1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential PRoblem , dont understand

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the picture i attached, particles with charges q1 = +7e and q2 = -15e are fixed in place with a separation of d = 23.9 cm. With V = 0 at infinity, what are the finite (a) positive and (b) negative values of x (in cm) at which the net electric potential on the x axis is zero?

I dont understand why for positive net electric potential is in the middle between them, and negative is to the left. Can someone explain this.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

For each of the three regions (x < 0, 0 < x < d, x > d), write an expression that describes the net potential as a function of position.

What's the electric potential surrounding a point charge?

4. Sep 21, 2008 #3
    How would i do that, my book doesnt require us to write functions. I dont know what the electric potential surround a point charge is

5. Sep 21, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

By "function" I just mean a mathematical formula.
    There's no point in worrying about the potential from two charges until you understand how to find the potential from one charge. Look it up!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?