Electric potential PRoblem , dont understand

In summary, the question asks to find the finite values of x at which the net electric potential on the x-axis is zero, given two fixed particles with charges q1 = +7e and q2 = -15e separated by d = 23.9 cm. The net electric potential is positive between the two particles and negative to the left of them. The three regions (x < 0, 0 < x < d, x > d) can be described by different mathematical expressions for the net potential. To understand how to find the potential from two charges, it is important to first understand how to find the potential from one charge.
th3plan

Homework Statement

In the picture i attached, particles with charges q1 = +7e and q2 = -15e are fixed in place with a separation of d = 23.9 cm. With V = 0 at infinity, what are the finite (a) positive and (b) negative values of x (in cm) at which the net electric potential on the x-axis is zero?

I don't understand why for positive net electric potential is in the middle between them, and negative is to the left. Can someone explain this.

Attachments

• fig24_32.gif
    fig24_32.gif
    941 bytes · Views: 512
Physics news on Phys.org
For each of the three regions (x < 0, 0 < x < d, x > d), write an expression that describes the net potential as a function of position.

What's the electric potential surrounding a point charge?

How would i do that, my book doesn't require us to write functions. I don't know what the electric potential surround a point charge is

th3plan said:
How would i do that, my book doesn't require us to write functions.
By "function" I just mean a mathematical formula.
I don't know what the electric potential surround a point charge is
There's no point in worrying about the potential from two charges until you understand how to find the potential from one charge. Look it up!

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a certain point in an electric field. It is also known as voltage and is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential different from electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a characteristic of a point in an electric field, while electric potential energy is the potential energy of a charge at that point. Electric potential energy is dependent on the charge's position in the field, while electric potential is a fixed value at a specific point.

3. What is the formula for electric potential?

The formula for electric potential is V = kQ/r, where V is electric potential, k is Coulomb's constant (9x10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the point to the charge.

4. How do you calculate the electric potential at a point due to multiple charges?

To calculate the electric potential at a point due to multiple charges, you can use the formula V = k(Q1/r1 + Q2/r2 + ... + Qn/rn), where Q1, Q2, etc. are the charges, and r1, r2, etc. are the distances from the point to each charge.

5. How does distance affect electric potential?

The electric potential at a point is inversely proportional to the distance from the charge. This means that as the distance increases, the electric potential decreases. This relationship follows the inverse square law, meaning that if the distance doubles, the electric potential will decrease by a factor of four.