Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Superchargers?

1. Feb 8, 2013 #1
    Does anyone here have any experience with electric superchargers? From the limited information I've read on the Internet, it seems energy storage is the biggest issue with them. For one, the average automotive vehicle tends to have a battery with too low of a voltage. Also, the motors that provide enough compression are too heavy/big.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2013 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The limiting factor goes back to power requirements- a lot of power is required to compress air at the pressure and flow rate required to run an engine. Paired with the fact that an electric supercharger requires its own energy storage and motor to drive the compressor, it's really a losing proposition compared to mechanically coupling to the engine either through belt drive or exhaust turbine drive (as in a turbocharger).

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  4. Feb 12, 2013 #3
    Audi has prototypes and some volvo trucks run a motor/generator instead of mechanical linking as in a turbo compound engine.

5. Feb 12, 2013 #4
    In short bursts, they can function at low boost levels. Probably their best use though would be to quickly spool up a larger turbo. Of course, electric-assist turbos do the same thing. :biggrin:

6. Mar 5, 2013 #5
    densifier

I am working on a fuel/O2 gas powered turbo system. Any thoughts?

7. Mar 9, 2013 #6

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm thinking that has nothing to do with this thread's topic...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook