1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical conductivity of SiCl4

1. Sep 8, 2015 #1
    image.jpg
    Why doesn't SiCl4 conduct electricity when it's in its molten state and conducts electricity when water is added? The answer is C. I know very well what is X and Z, but unsure what is Y.. Why not Al2O3? What's the difference? Does it got to do with their structures? Al2O3 is ionic with a degree of covalent character whereas SiCl4 is a simple molecular? if so, what is the effect of it?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

4. Sep 8, 2015 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What happens to each of those compounds when they are put into water? (Hint: "dissolve" and "doesn't dissolve" are not the only possible answers).

5. Sep 9, 2015 #4
    Thank you for the info. But SiCl4 is a simple molecular..it can react with water to form SiO2, but SiO2 is giant molecular! I'm really confused

6. Sep 9, 2015 #5
    NaF will split and form Na+ and F-1 ions, SiCl4 reacts with water to form SiO2, and SiO2 has no reaction with water

7. Sep 9, 2015 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... and what else?

8. Jun 6, 2016 #7
    SiCl4 is not ionic, therefore it does not have free electrons to conduct electricity when in molten state.
    However, when SiCl4 reacts with water, it form SiO2 and HCl. SiO2 is insoluble in water, but HCl conducts electricity since it's ionic.

Source from my school notes :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted