Electrical conductivity of seawater depends on salinity how?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between salinity and electrical conductivity of seawater. The Kohlrausch ionic model is mentioned as a semi-empirical determination of specific conductivity, but it has limitations due to the empirical constant. The discussion also touches on the difficulty of solving this problem theoretically and suggests looking at books on electrochemistry for more information. Debye-Huckel theory is mentioned as a way to incorporate ionic strength into the calculation, but it is not accurate for solutions as concentrated as seawater.
H Smith 94
Gold Member
Hi! I am currently trying to determine how the salinity ##S## of a sample of seawater (or, objectively, a salt-water solution) changes its electrical conductivity ##\sigma##.

It is clear that they are proportional since the mobility of the ##\text{Na}^{+}## and ##\text{Cl}^{-}## ions plays a huge role but I am unable to find any conclusive models which describe relationship between ##\sigma## and ##S##. Does anyone have any pointers or know of any existing relations? It would also be useful to understand in what way these factors depend on the temperature ##T##.

I have previously discovered the Kohlrausch ionic model (see also: Molar conductivity), which provides a semi-empirical determination of the specific conductivity. From this I determined that

[tex] \sigma_{25^\text{o}\text{C}}(C_n) = \left(\nu_+\lambda_+^{(0)}+\nu_-\lambda_-^{(0)}\right)\,C_n - KC_n^{3/2} [/tex]
where:

##\nu_\pm## is the number of moles of each ion;
##\lambda_\pm^{(0)}## is the limiting molar conductivities of each ion,

for ##\text{Na}^{+}## and ##\text{Cl}^{-}##:
##\lambda_+^{(0)} = 5.011\, \text{mS}\,\text{m}^2\,\text{mol}^{-1}##,
##\lambda_-^{(0)} = 7.634\, \text{mS}\,\text{m}^2\,\text{mol}^{-1}##;
##C_n(S) = S\rho_\text{water}/N_Am_i## is the number concentration (i.e. number of ions per unit volume,) in which:

##S## is salinity;
##\rho_\text{water}## is the density of water;
##m_i## is the mass of each salt particle (##m_i = m_\text{Na} + m_\text{Cl}##;)
##N_A## is Avagadro's constant.

Making the assumption that ##\nu_+ = \nu_- = \nu## and using the substitution for ##C_n(S)## we find that

\begin{equation} \sigma_{25^\text{o}\text{C}}(S) = \left(\lambda_{\text{Na}^{+}}^{(0)}+\lambda_{\text{Cl}^{-}}^{(0)}\right)\left(\frac{\rho_\text{water}}{N_Am_i}S\right)\nu - K\left(\frac{\rho_\text{water}}{N_Am_i}S\right)^{3/2}. \end{equation}
Although this model is great and seems to cover most bases it still has that pesky empirical ##K## value (the Kohlrausch constant,) so it's really not perfect.

Have I made any fatal assumptions/errors in deriving this? What are its limitations? Does anyone know of a way to expand this model to incorporate temperature, rather than simply being a specific conductivity?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Beware - this is a quite difficult problem, which is easier to solve experimentally (that is - just measure the conductivity) than to get reasonable result from theoretical considerations. You should take ionic strength of the solution into account, and the fact that ions have tendency to travel in pairs (which is to some extent equivalent to assuming salts are not 100% dissociated). Thick books have been written and there is still no easy approach.

Unfortunately the only source I can suggest is a book that can be rather difficult to find - https://books.google.pl/books/about/Electrochemistry.html?id=FVF8kDHABH8C&hl=pl There are plenty of other books, it just happens I have this one on the shelf, so I am sure it contains an introduction to the theory needed.

Likes H Smith 94
Borek, thank you for moving this thread!
Borek said:
Beware - this is a quite difficult problem, which is easier to solve experimentally (that is - just measure the conductivity) than to get reasonable result from theoretical considerations.
It certainly does seem that way! What's the best way to measure conductivity experimentally? I could try to tabulate some different values (like this one) and use those instead.
Borek said:
You should take ionic strength of the solution into account, and the fact that ions have tendency to travel in pairs (which is to some extent equivalent to assuming salts are not 100% dissociated).
I was a little confused by the physical meaning of the ionic strength, so I just made a complete oversimplification so I didn't have to think about it haha. Maybe that was a bad idea. How would I factor this into the calculation?
Borek said:
Thick books have been written and there is still no easy approach.
Unfortunately the only source I can suggest is a book that can be rather difficult to find - https://books.google.pl/books/about/Electrochemistry.html?id=FVF8kDHABH8C&hl=pl There are plenty of other books, it just happens I have this one on the shelf, so I am sure it contains an introduction to the theory needed.
I feared that would be the case! I'll have to root through the book shelves, too.

Thank you for the suggestion. Is this book written in English? My Polish is, let's say, nie dobry.

Last edited:
H Smith 94 said:
What's the best way to measure conductivity experimentally?

Any serious electrochemistry book (or even some instrumental/analytical chemistry books) will discuss it.

How would I factor this into the calculation?

Debye-Huckel theory. But I strongly suggest instead of asking about each things separately you start to read electrochemistry books, they always explain things in a reasonably complete and systematic manner, which is much better than the hit-and-run on the forum.

Is this book written in English? My Polish is, let's say, nie dobry.

As far as I remember it was published in English, German and Polish, probably in Czech. But there are other similar books written in English (and probably much easier to find), I just don't know them.

Likes H Smith 94
Borek said:
Any serious electrochemistry book (or even some instrumental/analytical chemistry books) will discuss it.

Debye-Huckel theory. But I strongly suggest instead of asking about each things separately you start to read electrochemistry books, they always explain things in a reasonably complete and systematic manner, which is much better than the hit-and-run on the forum.
Yes, you're right: I do seem a little leech-ey right now. Thank you for all your help, your pointers have been of invaluable assistance to me.

1. What is the relationship between salinity and electrical conductivity in seawater?

The higher the salinity of seawater, the greater its electrical conductivity. This is because salt ions in water act as conductors, allowing electricity to pass through more easily.

2. How does temperature affect the electrical conductivity of seawater?

Temperature also plays a role in the electrical conductivity of seawater. As temperature increases, the movement of salt ions also increases, resulting in higher conductivity. Therefore, warmer seawater tends to have higher conductivity than colder seawater.

3. Why is measuring the electrical conductivity of seawater important?

Measuring the electrical conductivity of seawater is important for various reasons. It can help determine the salinity of the water, which is important for understanding the health and productivity of marine ecosystems. It is also used in industries such as desalination plants and aquaculture, where precise salinity levels are necessary for optimal functioning.

4. Can the electrical conductivity of seawater change?

Yes, the electrical conductivity of seawater can change depending on various factors such as temperature, salinity, and the presence of other dissolved substances. Changes in these factors can alter the conductivity of seawater, which can have implications for marine life and industrial processes.

5. How is the electrical conductivity of seawater measured?

The electrical conductivity of seawater is typically measured using a device called a conductivity meter, which measures the electrical current passing through a sample of water. The results are usually expressed in Siemens per meter (S/m) or millisiemens per centimeter (mS/cm). Other methods, such as titration, can also be used to measure the conductivity of seawater.