1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical Engineer Certifications?

1. Nov 18, 2012 #1
    I'm wondering what are some recommended certifications a soon-to-be college grad should get as an electrical engineer besides an E.I.T.?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2012 #2
    The certifications you seek depend upon what you intend to do with your electrical engineering background.

A General Radiotelephone license is not a bad idea if you want to design RF gear.

A PMP certificate is a good thing to have, though I personally wouldn't recommend that anybody get in to project management until they have actually worked on a few projects. I see way too many people with PMP certificates with no clue of what they're working on.

You might also decide to pursue an MBA some day. Again, this is another one of those degrees that I do not recommend to anyone unless they've been through the real world first. We all have scars and war stories about fresh faced MBA hacks.

Also note that the E.I.T. is only useful if you have an intention of becoming a registered professional engineer. I want to emphasize that the PE is a LIABILITY. It is a pair of handcuffs that will be used upon you when you screw up. Yes, it can make you more employable. But there are many fields of electrical engineering where such certification is not needed. Think carefully should you decide to go for that certificate.

The bottom line: What do you think you would like to do when you graduate with a degree in Electrical Engineering?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook