1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical Engineer major taking electrician internship?

1. Apr 8, 2015 #1
    Currently in my 3rd year in college of engineering, and I recently got offered a HV electrician intern for the DoD. Is worth taking? Being that its different towards my degree.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2015 #2

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Electrical or electronics engineering? If you are Electrical (power), it is definitely worth your time.

If you are electronics oriented, you should probably pass. While you might learn a lot, not much would be applicable to your career path. Medium and High voltage bring out the chicken in me. All the safety training you will not increase any of your knowledge of electronics.

4. Apr 8, 2015 #3
    Even if your electronics engineering it may not be a bad thing.
    I recently graduated with an Electrical and Computer Engineering degree (I was in the computer stream but my university only hands out 1 degree title)
    My job now deals with industrial controllers and communications to and from the controllers. I find my self quite often on site poking around in panels and tracing wiring. Having a bit more "electrician" knowledge would be helpful.
    Also, at least in Canada, we covered nothing around the Canadian Electrical Standards code in classes, working as an electrician you'll probably be forced to pick up some of that knowledge :)

5. Apr 18, 2015 #4
    You definitely should. Tradespeople are in insanely high demand, especially construction electricians (at least where I am - Canada).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook