1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prospective Physics major; taking AP Physics B

Tags:
  1. Aug 30, 2011 #1
    Hey PF, I'm in my senior year of high school and I'm taking AP Physics B this year as my school does not offer AP Physics C, and I'm wondering if I should supplement with extra studying as I plan on majoring in physics. I took calculus AB (equivalent of first semester calculus) last year and I'm taking BC this year (it covers first year differential and integral calculus of a single variable along with taylor/maclaurin series). AP Physics B is purely algebra and trigonometry based, and the book we are using is Serway/Faughn College Physics which is of course the algebra and trig version of the book. I wish I could have taken physics C as it uses calculus, but sadly that's not offered at my school. I will review the single variable calculus material at the end of the year (with something like Calculus by Spivak) and then I plan on starting multivariable calculus as a freshman in college if the college allows this. So, what should I supplement my physics B material with in order to learn more physics and get an upper hand in my first year of college? Work with a calculus based physics book like Halliday or Giancoli along with the Serway/Faughn? Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2011 #2
    If you understand calculus and understand kinematics when you do it physics B just self study the physics C material and take the C test along with the B. Most likely Physics B wont count towards your physics degree because it is not calculus based.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook