Electrical Potential Energy Converted to Kinetic Energy

In summary, the potential difference between two parallel conducting plates in vacuum is 330 V, and an alpha particle with a mass of 6.50 x10-27 kg and a charge of 3.20 x10-19 C is released from rest near the positive plate. The kinetic energy of the alpha particle when it reaches the other plate is 1.056E-16 J. The distance between the plates does not need to be factored in as the potential difference and charge of the alpha particle already provide the kinetic energy.
skibum143

Homework Statement

The potential difference between two parallel conducting plates in vacuum is 330 V. An alpha particle with mass of 6.50 x10-27 kg and charge of 3.20 x10-19 C is released from rest near the positive plate. What is the kinetic energy of the alpha particle when it reaches the other plate? The distance between the plates is 34.0 cm.

Homework Equations

v = sqrt (2eV/m)
kinetic energy = electron volts?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to first calculate the electron volts: 330V (J/C) * 3.20E-19C = 1.056E-16 V
I know this electrical potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, but I'm not sure how to factor in the distance between the plates.
I know velocity equals the change in distance over the change in time, but I don't know the time, and can't solve with two unknowns.
I solved for velocity using the v = sqrt (2eV/m), and then plugged that and mass into the ke = 1/2 mv^2 equation, but got the same value as electron volts.
How do I factor in the distance?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
skibum143 said:

Homework Statement

The potential difference between two parallel conducting plates in vacuum is 330 V. An alpha particle with mass of 6.50 x10-27 kg and charge of 3.20 x10-19 C is released from rest near the positive plate. What is the kinetic energy of the alpha particle when it reaches the other plate? The distance between the plates is 34.0 cm.

Homework Equations

v = sqrt (2eV/m)
kinetic energy = electron volts?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to first calculate the electron volts: 330V (J/C) * 3.20E-19C = 1.056E-16 V

Note 330 volts = 330 joules per coulomb. If you multiply a potential difference (here 330 volts) by the charge of the alpha particle in coulombs the answer is an energy in joules, no more work need be done. The distance is not needed.

So joules is equal to kinetic energy, and 1.056E-16 J is the kinetic energy when it reaches the other plate?

What is electrical potential energy?

Electrical potential energy is the energy that an electrically charged object possesses due to its position in an electric field.

How is electrical potential energy converted to kinetic energy?

Electrical potential energy is converted to kinetic energy when an electrically charged object moves through an electric field, gaining speed and kinetic energy as it does so.

What is the relationship between electrical potential energy and kinetic energy?

The relationship between electrical potential energy and kinetic energy is that electrical potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy, and vice versa. This is known as the principle of conservation of energy.

What factors affect the amount of electrical potential energy converted to kinetic energy?

The amount of electrical potential energy converted to kinetic energy is affected by the strength of the electric field, the distance the object moves through the electric field, and the mass and charge of the object.

How is the conversion of electrical potential energy to kinetic energy used in real-life applications?

The conversion of electrical potential energy to kinetic energy is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in generators, motors, and batteries. It is also used in everyday devices, such as phones and laptops, to power their functions.