1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential and Kinetic Energy

1. Jul 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A charged particle (q = -8.0 mC), which moves in a region where the only force acting on the particle is an electric force, is released from rest at point A. At point B the kinetic energy of the particle is equal to 4.8 J. What is the electric potential difference VB-VA?

2. Relevant equations
    EPE = Delta V (volts) = Delta U (potential energy) / q0

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using this equation, I came up with the solution of -.6 kV, however, the answer is positive. Why is this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2015 #2
    Which point do you think is at a higher potential ?

4. Jul 25, 2015 #3
    Ahhh. Point VB has higher potential energy, therefore, in the equation VB - VA, it is positive. Thank you for your response.

I also have another question.

A particle (charge = +2.0 mC) moving in a region where only electric forces act on it has a kinetic energy of 5.0 J at point A. The particle subsequently passes through point B which has an electric potential of +1.5 kV relative to point A. Determine the kinetic energy of the particle as it moves through point B.

I'll be honest with you, I do not know where to start with this problem. I know my equations however, I cannot picture the concept of potential energy caused by an electric field in relative to points A and B. If someone could clarify I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

5. Jul 25, 2015 #4
    Simply , q*ΔV = ΔKE .

6. Jul 25, 2015 #5
    Thanks again Qwerty. I must have missed out on that equation when I was copying my notes.

7. Jul 25, 2015 #6
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Identical point charges (+50 μC) are placed at the corners of a square with sides of 2.0-m length. How much external energy is required to bring a fifth identical charge from infinity to the geometric center of the square?

2. Relevant equations
    Electric Potential for Multiple Charges

ΔU = K∑(Qi / Ri)
    Therefore,
    K(50x10^-6 C) / 2cos(45°) yields 3.17 x 10^5 V.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Each point charge by itself has an electric potential of 3.17 x 10^5 V (V is the correct unit, right?).

However, I'm sure I'm doing this wrong because my answer choices are in a completely different magnitude (10^1).

Thanks for the help.

8. Jul 25, 2015 #7
    ΔU = K∑(Qi*Q/Ri) .

Also , I think you haven't inputted Ri correctly either .

9. Jul 25, 2015 #8
    What should the equation be then for all 4 charges?

K(Q1 + Q2 + Q3 + Q4) / 2cos(45)?

Also, what would Ri be then?

10. Jul 25, 2015 #9
    Ri equals distance between any charge and the new charge ( Use diagram ) .

KQ(Q1 + Q2 + .. ) .

11. Jul 25, 2015 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Are you sure? sqrt(2) looks right to me.
    TAMUwbEE, I'm not sure whether you have understood Qwertywerty's other point. You calculated 3.17 x 10^5 V (as the potential due to one existing charge). You are asked for an energy, not a potential. That explains the orders of magnitude discrepancy.

12. Jul 25, 2015 #11
    Then that's my mistake .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted