Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electro-Mechanical Engineer College Info Help

1. May 22, 2012 #1
    Hey im 20 years old and im signing up for college and i want to become some sort of robotics engineer. im having a difficulty finding colleges with degree programs for robotics around here. i found a program for an advanced diploma in electro-mechanical engineering technology a 3 year program at Durham College in Oshawa, ON, Canada. would this be a good idea for me to invest in to get that diploma or/and does anyone have any ideas what college and course name (suited for robotics) i can submit to that would be a better option (or what course title i should search for) around durham region or toronto? Thank You for your help

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2012 #2
    Look into "mechatronics" that's the parent field of robotics and is generally an offshoot of either mechanical or electrical (which one you choose is up to you after looking through the curriculum)

4. May 24, 2012 #3
    Like everybody else said, look for mechatronics engineering. There are only a handful of programs out there for it, though. Mechatronics engineering is just now getting started as its own field, but I know its supposed to be an exciting field with plenty of applications and opportunities. Electro-Mechanical Engineering is now mostly an engineering technology and is not ABET accredited as an engineering specialty.

Southern Polytechnic State University in Georgia has a degree in Mechatronics Engineering, and if you get that done and decide to do more, Georgia Tech has a Ph.D in Robotics. Although, I would look into SPSU as there's been some negative comments made about them. Good academics program, though.

5. Jul 10, 2012 #4
    hey,

i need one advice from some experts which one is Best Colleges For Robotics Engineering

I am searching alot but not found any authantic source on which I can trust

it is valid that MIT is on top?

Source: http://www.etechmag.com/2012/06/26/colleges-robotics-engineering.html [Broken]

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook