Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Has anyone started a business out of college as a mechanical engineer?

1. Jan 22, 2014 #1
    I am starting a engineering business with some friends while I am still in college. I graduated this past December and I am now working on my Masters. I was curious if anyone else has had a similar experience and what technological field you were in. We are designing an automated welding machine so we are incorporating mechanical, electrical, and computer science right off the bat.

I have taken the reigns on the business side and am learning as much as I can as fast as I can. It can be difficult to switch gears from engineering to business and back again with consistent success.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2014 #2
    ooooh please let me know about the welding machine.......

I am hoping you guys are the breakthrough "Cut and Paste" crew I've been praying for....to create a program that will allow you to cut and paste any autocad or solidworks drawing into the computer, and use it to set welds into the frames of our bikes....

We have a ton of different axis' and the machine's movements are changing direction through some of the complex welds.....as some bikes and trikes require.

Let me know if you want any feedback from a manufacturing guy and would love to point you in the direction of making some real breakthroughs in these machines....

got any pics of the machine in works?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook