Electro Statics What am I missing?

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Coulomb's law to determine the electric force between a balloon and denim when they are separated by a distance of 5.0 cm. The given information includes the charge of the balloon (8.0 microcoulombs), the constant Kc (8.99*10^9), and the distance (5 cm). The conversation also considers the concept of conservation of charge in determining the charge of the denim.
tallbus1
Electro Statics...What am I missing!?

Homework Statement

A balloon rubbed against denim gains a charge of 8.0microcoulumbs (I can't do the sign o_O). What is the electric force between the denim and balloon when the two are separated by a distance of 5.0 cm?

Homework Equations

Coulumb's law: Fe = Kc q1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I was given q1: 8mc I know Kc: 8.99*10^9 and I know R: 5 cm This leaves q2, how am I to know what the charge of q2 is? Could it be the standard 1.60219 * 10^-19? Or is the charge transferred?

Physics news on Phys.org

I would assume that both the balloon and denim were originally neutral. Then you can use the Law of Conservation of Charge (charge cannot be created or destroyed; i.e. Qinitial=Qfinal) to find the other charge.

So then we assume that the charge of the balloon has a charge of -8mc? We have only touched the Conservation of Charge conceptually...

Oh, alright! Thanks

It seems like you are missing some information about the system to be able to calculate the electric force. In order to use Coulomb's law, you need to know the charges of both objects involved. In this case, you have the charge of the balloon (q1), but you do not have the charge of the denim (q2). This missing information could be the reason why you are unable to find a solution.

Additionally, it is important to note that the charge of an object can be transferred through rubbing, so it is possible that the charge of the denim is not the standard 1.60219 * 10^-19. It would be helpful to have more information about the experiment to accurately determine the charge of the denim.

In conclusion, it seems like you are missing the charge of the denim in order to calculate the electric force between the two objects. It would be beneficial to have more information about the experiment to accurately determine the charge of the denim and solve the problem.

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric charges at rest and the forces and fields associated with these charges.

2. What are the basic principles of electrostatics?

The basic principles of electrostatics include Coulomb's Law, which describes the force between two charged objects, and the principles of electric fields and potential, which describe the behavior of electric charges in space.

3. How is electrostatics different from electrodynamics?

Electrostatics deals with the behavior of electric charges at rest, while electrodynamics deals with the behavior of charges in motion. In electrostatics, the charges do not move, whereas in electrodynamics, the charges are in motion and can generate magnetic fields as well.

4. What are some real-world applications of electrostatics?

Electrostatics has many practical applications, including in the development of electronic devices, such as capacitors, transistors, and integrated circuits. It is also used in air purifiers, photocopiers, and spray painting technology, among others.

5. How does electrostatics impact our daily lives?

Electrostatics plays a significant role in our daily lives. It is responsible for the attraction and repulsion between objects, which allows us to stick magnets on our fridge or use a balloon to make our hair stand on end. It also plays a crucial role in the functioning of electrical equipment, such as generators, motors, and transformers, which are essential for our modern way of life.