1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrodynamics: Amplitude of currents

1. Dec 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all.

Please take a look at the attached circuit. I've have found the amplitude of the current through the resistance to be:

\left| {I_0 } \right| = \frac{{\varepsilon _0 }}{{\left| {R - \frac{R}{{\omega ^2 LC}} + \frac{i}{{\omega C}}} \right|}},

where ε_0 is the amplitude of the EMF, and the EMF is given by ε_0 cos(ωt). This is all good (and correct too! :approve:), but in my book it says that in general, the amplitude of the current is given by:

\left| {I_0 } \right| = \frac{{\varepsilon _0 }}{{\left| Z \right|}},

where Z is the impedance. So according to my book, the amplitude of the current through the resistance must be:

\left| {I_0 } \right| = \frac{{\varepsilon _0 }}{{\left| {R - i\omega L + \frac{i}{{\omega C}}} \right|}}.

What's wrong here? I mean, I know my result is correct, but it is obviously not the same as the one my book wants. What impedance is it I have in my denominator then?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Something's amiss here. Don't know where your first equation came from, but the third equation (from your book, you say) describes a series tank circuit and not the series/parallel circuit you drew.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  4. Dec 10, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Note that

[tex] {R - i\omega L + \frac{i}{{\omega C}}} [/tex]

would be the impedance if all three elements were in series. However that is not the case in the circuit you show.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?