Electrolysis and reduced mass of a metal bar

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Medicol
Messages
226
Reaction score
55
1. Insert a bar of copper of m(gram) into (HCl + H2O). After a while, its weight become m_1 (gram) which is smaller than m. Explain why and give a general formula to find m_1



2. None



3. I keep thinking how that becomes possible, because I learn that Cu can't react with HCl+H2O
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Question states "electrolysis", you are thinking in terms of dissolution.
 
Borek said:
Question states "electrolysis", you are thinking in terms of dissolution.

my exercise is in Cu and Electrolysis chapter, I don't know how to explain why Cu's weight is lost over a short time.
 
Last edited:
Then read the chapter, it explains what reactions take place on the electrode during electrolysis.