Electrolysis of baking soda solution?

In summary, in the electrolysis of water with baking soda (NaHCO3) dissolved in it and carbon electrodes, hydrogen is produced at the cathode and an unknown gas is produced at the anode. This gas does not have a distinct smell and does not react with a lit match. It is possible that the water will slowly turn into a NaOH solution, but this may vary depending on factors such as concentration, voltage, electrode properties, and partial pressure of CO2. Overall, this is a complex system with no one definitive answer for what is happening.
Artlav
What is being produced in electrolysis of water with baking soda (NaHCO3) dissolved in it, and carbon electrodes?
Seems to be an extremely simple question, but every place i google up have a different answer.

In practice, there is hydrogen on the cathode - it burns - but on the anode i get some unknown gas.
It does not smell of anything - neither the itchy smell of CO2, nor fresh smell of oxygen, and i can't seem to get any reaction from a lit match.

So, what is happening in there?
Second question - what is happening in the water?
One place i read that it would slowly turn into NaOH solution - would that actually happen?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
CO2/O2 mixture perhaps? When oxygen is produced (which is almost for sure the main reaction) it can oxidize carbon electrodes, plus, one the products of the electrolysis are H+ - depending on the concentrations they can acidify solution in the vicinity of the electrode enough to decompose the carbonate.

But I am just guessing. Note that there is probably no one answer to the question - what is really happening can depend on the concentration, applied voltage, properties of the electrode surfaces, mixing and partial pressure of CO2 in the air above the solution. By no means this is a simple system.

1. What is electrolysis?

Electrolysis is a process in which an electric current is passed through a substance, causing a chemical reaction to occur.

2. How does electrolysis of baking soda solution work?

When an electric current is passed through a baking soda solution, the water molecules (H2O) are split into hydrogen ions (H+) and hydroxide ions (OH-). The hydrogen ions are attracted to the negative electrode (cathode) and the hydroxide ions are attracted to the positive electrode (anode). This results in the formation of hydrogen gas at the cathode and oxygen gas at the anode.

3. What are the products of electrolysis of baking soda solution?

The products of electrolysis of baking soda solution are hydrogen gas (H2) and oxygen gas (O2).

4. What are some practical applications of electrolysis of baking soda solution?

Electrolysis of baking soda solution is commonly used in the production of hydrogen gas, which can be used as a clean and renewable energy source. It is also used in the production of sodium hydroxide, a chemical compound that is used in various industries such as soap making and paper production.

5. Is electrolysis of baking soda solution safe?

Yes, electrolysis of baking soda solution is generally considered safe as long as proper precautions are taken. These precautions include using appropriate safety equipment, such as gloves and protective eyewear, and making sure the electrical current is not too high. It is also important to use baking soda solution with a low concentration, as higher concentrations can result in the production of toxic gases.