Electrolysis of NaHCO3 solution with lead electrodes

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hey.
If i carry out electrolysis of saturated sodium bicarbonate solution with lead electrodes, will the lead electrodes will dissolve to form lead carbonate (or basic lead carbonate if temperature is higher) or the lead ions will migrate from anode to cathode and deposite there?

I think that the Pb2+ ions will react with OH- and CO32- to form basic lead carbonate.
I want to do this so that i can make Pb (II/IV) oxide as calcination of bacis lead carbonate yields it.
Thanks in advance.

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
I would start by consulting Pourbaix diagram, however, dealing with lead and its compounds (especially in the high temperatures) is difficult, as lead is quite toxic. Do you have any experience or means to deal with it properly/safely?

Hey.
If i carry out electrolysis of saturated sodium bicarbonate solution with lead electrodes, will the lead electrodes will dissolve to form lead carbonate (or basic lead carbonate if temperature is higher) or the lead ions will migrate from anode to cathode and deposite there?
Is lead carbonate stable on anode, or does it get oxidized further?
Lead sulphate is insoluble and insulating, yet it is oxidized at anode to lead dioxide. Does lead carbonate do the same?