How does electrolysis affect salts in solution?

In summary, the conversation is about using a device to raise Dissolved Oxygen (DO) in a hydroponic nutrient solution via electrolysis. The question is whether this process will affect the nutrients in the solution and potentially harm the plants. The conclusion is that electrolysis is not likely to degrade the nutrients in a harmful way.
shane2
Not sure if this is the best sub category to ask...

I've successfully raised Dissolved Oxygen (DO) in a hydroponic nutrient solution via electrolysis using this device here...

http://www.o2grow.com/

My question is, assuming starting with pure RO or distilled water, that has only had nutrient solution later added to it, any crud that builds up on the emitter screens over time must be coming from the salts of the nutrient solution, correct?

Question then is, how significantly might I be detrimentally affecting my nutrient solution, subjecting it to electrolysis?

IOW's, how are any of the compounds in the nutrient solution, like N,P,K, etc., possibly being changed, modified, or diluted?

BTW, I'm usually running about 40 gallons of nutrient solution at between 300 and 1,000 PPM liquid fertilizer added and at a pH of around 5.8. The O2 device is on for maybe 10 minutes every hour, 4 hours day in total, 24/7.

If I'm taking some nutrients out of play, that's not a big deal, I can just run a little higher PPM concentrations, but if I'm modifying any via the electrolysis that go on to the plant roots to possibly do harm, that's what I'm trying to sort out here.

Could any of these nutrients be getting changed or modified into something unintended via the electrolysis, is the big question.

Thanks for any insights.

- Shane

Chemistry news on Phys.org
shane2 said:
compounds in the nutrient solution, like N,P,K,
K? "No change." N? How many oxidation states ... let me think a minute ... at least half a dozen ... all more or less equivalently nutritious ... ? "No change." P? All phosphate.

Bystander, so, is your conclusion that electrolysis would likely have minimal effect degrading the nutrients into anything harmful?

- Shane

I'll cross my fingers and nod.

1. How does electrolysis affect the pH of a salt solution?

Electrolysis can affect the pH of a salt solution by producing acidic or basic byproducts. For example, when water is electrolyzed, it can produce hydrogen ions (H+) or hydroxide ions (OH-), which can change the pH of the solution.

2. Can electrolysis break down salts in solution?

Yes, electrolysis can break down salts in solution by separating the positively and negatively charged ions. This process is known as electrolytic dissociation and can result in the formation of new substances, such as chlorine gas from sodium chloride (table salt) solution.

3. How does the concentration of a salt solution affect electrolysis?

The concentration of a salt solution can affect electrolysis by influencing the amount of ions present. Higher concentrations of salts will have more ions available for electrolysis, resulting in a faster and more intense reaction.

4. Does electrolysis affect the solubility of salts?

Electrolysis itself does not directly affect the solubility of salts. However, the products of electrolysis, such as hydrogen or hydroxide ions, can react with the salt and change its solubility. This is why electrolysis can be used to selectively separate and purify substances in a solution.

5. How does the type of electrode used in electrolysis affect the reaction with salts in solution?

The type of electrode used in electrolysis can affect the reaction with salts in solution by determining what substances are produced. For example, a graphite electrode will not react with the solution itself, while a metal electrode may react and form new compounds with the ions in the solution.