Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does electrolysis affect salts in solution?

1. Sep 18, 2016 #1
    Not sure if this is the best sub category to ask...

I've successfully raised Dissolved Oxygen (DO) in a hydroponic nutrient solution via electrolysis using this device here...

http://www.o2grow.com/

My question is, assuming starting with pure RO or distilled water, that has only had nutrient solution later added to it, any crud that builds up on the emitter screens over time must be coming from the salts of the nutrient solution, correct?

Question then is, how significantly might I be detrimentally affecting my nutrient solution, subjecting it to electrolysis?

IOW's, how are any of the compounds in the nutrient solution, like N,P,K, etc., possibly being changed, modified, or diluted?

BTW, I'm usually running about 40 gallons of nutrient solution at between 300 and 1,000 PPM liquid fertilizer added and at a pH of around 5.8. The O2 device is on for maybe 10 minutes every hour, 4 hours day in total, 24/7.

If I'm taking some nutrients out of play, that's not a big deal, I can just run a little higher PPM concentrations, but if I'm modifying any via the electrolysis that go on to the plant roots to possibly do harm, that's what I'm trying to sort out here.

Could any of these nutrients be getting changed or modified into something unintended via the electrolysis, is the big question.

Thanks for any insights.

- Shane

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

K? "No change." N? How many oxidation states ... let me think a minute ... at least half a dozen ... all more or less equivalently nutritious ... ? "No change." P? All phosphate.

4. Sep 20, 2016 #3
    Bystander, so, is your conclusion that electrolysis would likely have minimal effect degrading the nutrients into anything harmful?

- Shane

5. Sep 20, 2016 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'll cross my fingers and nod.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted