Electromagnetic Absorption/MATLAB calculaiton

In summary, the conversation discusses drawing an electromagnetic absorption vs frequency graph for a known dielectric constant in a medium. The equations for the electromagnetic waves are given and the discussion touches on finding absorption values and plotting them on MATLAB. The concept of absorption is explained as the intensity of energy flow ratio between incident and traveling waves.
edie

Homework Statement

Hey guys, I am trying to draw out the electromagnetic absorpton vs frequency graph for a known dielectric constant ε in a medium but I am kind of stucked.

I am studying from the Griffiths' book if you can catch me up from there, equations are on pg. 394, in chapter 9.4 Absorption and dispersion, 3rd edition

Homework Equations

Well, after a long proof, Griffiths concludes that the electromagnetic waves are (not suprisingly);

E(z,t) = E 0 e-κz e i(kz-ωt)
and
B(z,t) = B 0 e-κz e i(kz-ωt)

where κ is the complex part, and k is the real parts of the "wave number"

The Attempt at a Solution

After we all know this given information I just tried to put all the values I know (like the frequency range, ε, σ, etc.) and excluded the imaginary(E) to find absorption. (and then simply plot it on MATLAB.)

Where am I mistaken? I believe I should not simply plot the imaginary part. But what should I do to get a nice Absorption vs frequency spectrum?

Cheers and thank you in prior!

Physics news on Phys.org
Absorption refers to the INTENSITY of energy flow ratio between incident wave and wave after traveling in the media for some distance, and the instantaneous intensity of the energy flow is the amplitude of the Poynting flux S~ExB. The time averaged intensity must be averaged over the period. For each frequency there's a different ratio of this time-averaged intensity.

1. What is electromagnetic absorption?

Electromagnetic absorption refers to the process by which electromagnetic waves are absorbed and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or electrical energy.

2. How is electromagnetic absorption calculated?

Electromagnetic absorption can be calculated by using the absorption coefficient, which is a measure of how much of the incident radiation is absorbed by the material. This coefficient can be determined experimentally or through mathematical modeling using tools such as MATLAB.

3. What is the role of MATLAB in calculating electromagnetic absorption?

MATLAB is a software tool commonly used by scientists and engineers to analyze and model complex systems, including electromagnetic absorption. It allows for the development of sophisticated algorithms and simulations to accurately predict the absorption of electromagnetic waves in different materials.

4. Can MATLAB be used to calculate electromagnetic absorption for any material?

Yes, MATLAB can be used to calculate electromagnetic absorption for any material as long as the material's properties and characteristics are known. This may include factors such as the material's composition, thickness, and temperature.

5. What are some advantages of using MATLAB for electromagnetic absorption calculations?

One of the main advantages of using MATLAB for electromagnetic absorption calculations is its flexibility and ability to handle complex calculations and simulations. It also allows for easy visualization of the results, making it easier for scientists to analyze and interpret their data.