Unable to decrypt emission/absorption matrix element

In summary, the conversation discusses an example of an atom emitting a photon and the subsequent photoionization of another atom. The conversation focuses on a matrix element that is used to calculate the amplitude probability of photon emission and absorption. The equation for the emission matrix element includes constants, unit polarization vectors, wave vectors, and position vectors. The absorption matrix element is similar but with some differences in the variables used. The conversation ends with questions about the initial and final states of the system and the interpretation of certain terms in the equations. The conversation also mentions the units used for the wave vector, energy, and position vector.
provolus
Unable to "decrypt" emission/absorption matrix element

Hi to everyone! I'm reading an example of atom radiation interaction (more precisely, an atom emits a photon which photoionizes another atom) on an old book (60s) and I'm facing a matrix element which I never saw. I mean, I'm not able to recognize in it those usual elements you can find in ordinary treatments of photon-atoms transitions. Since the author does not provide any reference from where he derives this kind of notation, I'm not able to understand how he calculates the amplitude probability of photon emission followed by the photon absorption.

If somebody can tell me how to interpret this matrix element or, better, suggest me some reference where I can find the same kind of notation, I'll be very happy and grateful!

For example, the emission matrix element for the atom which emits the photon is:
[tex]
V = C \hat{p} \cdot \hat{A} k^{-\frac{1}{2}} \exp[-i\textbf{k}\cdot\textbf{r}]
[/tex]

where:

[tex]C[/tex] includes costants which are not important;
[tex]\hat{p}[/tex] unit polarization vector of the dipole radiative transition in the atom;
[tex]\hat{A}[/tex] polarization vector of the photon
[tex]\textbf{k}[/tex] wave vector of the photon
[tex]\textbf{r}[/tex] position of the atom

The absorption matrix element is similar: position vector (r') and polarization-dipole-vector (p') referred to the other atom, same wave vector (k) for the photon but a plus sign on the exponential part.
What puzzles me is: where are the initial and final states of the sistem? from where comes [tex]k^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]? and what is [tex]\hat{p}[/tex] if the term [tex]\exp[-i\textbf{k}\cdot\textbf{r}][/tex] is given? usually, this last term is expanded in dipole approximation and one gets a dipole operator (i.e. [tex]\textbf{D}=e\textbf{r}[/tex])...

thx for the help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Forgot to say:

wave vector [tex]\textbf{k}[/tex] is in radiant/second
energies are in radiant/second
position vector [tex]\textbf{r}[/tex] in [tex]c[/tex]seconds with c speed of light.

1. What does "unable to decrypt emission/absorption matrix element" mean?

When studying the properties of atoms and molecules, scientists often use a matrix element to represent the probability of an electron transitioning from one energy level to another. However, in some cases, this matrix element may be encrypted or difficult to decipher, making it "unable to decrypt." This means that the exact value or meaning of the matrix element cannot be determined or understood.

2. Why is it important to be able to decrypt emission/absorption matrix elements?

Decryption of emission/absorption matrix elements is crucial in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules. These matrix elements provide key information about the energy levels and transitions of electrons, which can help scientists predict and explain various phenomena, such as the absorption and emission of light.

3. What factors can affect the ability to decrypt emission/absorption matrix elements?

There are several factors that can impact the decryption of emission/absorption matrix elements. These include the complexity of the system being studied, the accuracy and precision of experimental measurements, and the limitations of current scientific techniques and technologies.

4. How do scientists attempt to decrypt emission/absorption matrix elements?

There are various methods that scientists use to try and decrypt emission/absorption matrix elements. These include theoretical calculations and simulations, experimental measurements using sophisticated instruments, and collaborations with other researchers to combine different approaches and perspectives.

5. What are the implications of not being able to decrypt emission/absorption matrix elements?

The inability to decrypt emission/absorption matrix elements can limit our understanding and prediction of the behavior of atoms and molecules. This can hinder the development of new technologies and advancements in fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science. It also highlights the need for further research and innovation in the study of these complex systems.