1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic fields of a rotating solid sphere: total charge inside

1. Mar 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A solid sphere of radius a rotates with angular velocity ω[itex]\hat{z}[/itex] relative to an inertial frame K in which the sphere's center is at rest. In a frame K' located at the surface of the sphere, there is no electric field, and the magnetic field is a dipole field with M=M[itex]\hat{z}[/itex] located at the center of the sphere.

First find the electric and magnetic fields as measured in the K frame and do not assume ωa<<c, then calculate the total charge inside the planet also in the K frame, this time assuming ωa<<c.

2. Relevant equations

(i) [itex]\textbf{B}=\frac{3 \hat{r} \left( \hat{r} \bullet \textbf{M} \right) - \textbf{M}} {a^{3}}[/itex]

(ii) Q[itex]_{enc}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{4π}\int \textbf{E} \bullet \textbf{da}[/itex]

Also the Lorentz transformation equations to go from E' to E and B' to B (don't want to type...):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorent...z_transformation_of_the_electromagnetic_field

3. The attempt at a solution

I got the transformed electric and magnetic fields, and I want to use (ii) to find the total charge using the electric field I get:

[itex]\textbf{E}=\frac{Mω} {ca^{2} \sqrt{1-\frac{ω^{2}a^{2}} {c^{2}}sin^{2} \left(θ \right)}} \left(sin^{2}θ \hat{r} - 2sinθcosθ \hat{θ} \right)[/itex]

BUT I do not know what da would be in this case, since the sphere is rotating in the K frame. Conventionally da is just

[itex]r dr dθ \hat{r}[/itex]

EDIT: but that surface element only accounts for part of the electric flux. I guess I'm just not sure. Any insights on this?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi /flûks/! :smile:
    it doesn't matter that the real sphere is rotating …

you're integrating over an imaginary sphere! :wink:
    (since you have found E in the stationary frame, you integrate as usual)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook