1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic Spectrum Problem Help

1. Oct 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    As you drive by an AM radio station, you notice a sign saying that its antenna is 112m high. If this height represents one quarter-wavelength of its signal, what is the frequency of the station?

2. Relevant equations
    c (speed of light) = f (frequency) x d (wavelength/lambda)

3. The attempt at a solution
    It's simply the wording that's messing me up. What I did was multiply 112 meters by 4 since it says that the height represents one-quarter of the wavelength, and simply divided the speed of light by that number to get an answer of about 6.70 x 10^5 Hz. I know radio waves at their smallest are generally 10^6 Hz. Any comments? Any help is greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Check your units and make sure C is in m/s not km/s.

4. Oct 23, 2008 #3
    I made sure that C = 3 x 10^8 m/s, so the answer I obtained came from 3 x 10^8 / (112 x 4) = 6.70 x 10^5 Hz (rounded up to 3 sigfigs). Thanks though.

5. Oct 24, 2008 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks good. AM frequencies are about 500 to 1600 kHz, or around 10^6 Hz as you pointed out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?