Constructive Interference in Coherent Antenna Arrays

In summary, the conversation discusses a radio transmitting station with two identical antennas operating at a frequency of 100 MHz. The antennas are coherent with each other and spaced 10 m apart. The point P between the antennas is x distance away from antenna A. The conversation covers finding the wavelength of the electromagnetic wave, the path difference between the waves at point P, where constructive interference occurs, and the number of constructive interference points on the line between the antennas. The equations c=λf and v=λf are relevant, and it is important to use the speed of light for EM waves and the speed of sound for sound waves. Constructive interference occurs when the path length difference is a multiple of 2π.
not_a_physics_major
Homework Statement
A radio transmitting station operating at a frequency f=100 MHz has two identical antennas that radiate in phase (in other words, coherent with respect to each other). Antenna B is 10 m to the right of antenna A. Consider the point P between the antennas, and along the line connecting them a horizontal distance x to the right of antenna A.

a) What is the wavelength of the electromagnetic wave?
b) At point P, what is the path difference (PD) between the waves coming from the two antennas (give your answer in terms of x)?
c) For what values of x will constructive interference occur at point P?
d) How many constructive interference points will be there on the line between the two antennas?

Relevant Equations
c=λf
v=λf?

The attempt at a solution
a.) c=λf, so λ=(3*108m/s)/(1*108Hz)=3m. This gave me the correct answer according to the study guide, but I've seen some people use v (speed of sound) instead of c (speed of light). I'm not sure which is correct.
b.) PD= (10-x)-x= 10-2x
c.) Constructive interference occurs when PD= mλ. So, x=-(mλ)/20. For m values 1-4, x= -0.15, 0.3, 0.45, 0.6 According to the answer key this is wrong, but I don't understand how to get the right answer.
d.) The total distance is 10m, so I would keep plugging in m values until I get an x ≥10.

Physics news on Phys.org
not_a_physics_major said:
a.) c=λf, so λ=(3*108m/s)/(1*108Hz)=3m. This gave me the correct answer according to the study guide, but I've seen some people use v (speed of sound) instead of c (speed of light). I'm not sure which is correct. Do radio waves travel at the speed of light or at the speed of sound?
b.) PD= (10-x)-x= 10-2x Yes
c.) Constructive interference occurs when PD= mλ. So, x=-(mλ)/20. For m values 1-4, x= -0.15, 0.3, 0.45, 0.6 According to the answer key this is wrong, but I don't understand how to get the right answer. If PD=mλ. and PD=10 -2x then mλ.=10 -2x which does not rearrange to your expression
d.) The total distance is 10m, so I would keep plugging in m values until I get an x ≥10.

Likes not_a_physics_major
Homework Statement
A radio transmitting station operating at a frequency f=100 MHz has two identical antennas that radiate in phase (in other words, coherent with respect to each other). Antenna B is 10 m to the right of antenna A. Consider the point P between the antennas, and along the line connecting them a horizontal distance x to the right of antenna A.

a) What is the wavelength of the electromagnetic wave?
b) At point P, what is the path difference (PD) between the waves coming from the two antennas (give your answer in terms of x)?
c) For what values of x will constructive interference occur at point P?
d) How many constructive interference points will be there on the line between the two antennas?

Relevant Equations
c=λf
v=λf?

The attempt at a solution
a.) c=λf, so λ=(3*108m/s)/(1*108Hz)=3m. This gave me the correct answer according to the study guide, but I've seen some people use v (speed of sound) instead of c (speed of light). I'm not sure which is correct.
b.) PD= (10-x)-x= 10-2x
c.) Constructive interference occurs when PD= mλ. So, x=-(mλ)/20. For m values 1-4, x= -0.15, 0.3, 0.45, 0.6 According to the answer key this is wrong, but I don't understand how to get the right answer.
Welcome to the PF.:smile:

For EM waves, use the velocity c. For sound waves, use the speed of sound for the velocity. Makes sense?

And you get constructive interference when the path length difference is a multiple of 2π, not just π. You can see that by looking at the plot of a sinusoidal waveform. See how the wave repeats itself every 2π? If you add two waves that are π apart in phase, they cancel each other out. Can you see that now? :smile:

ADD -- Sorry, I mistread your post. You did say when the PD is a multiple of the wavelength, not of π.

https://betterexplained.com/wp-content/uploads/sine/sine-plot.gif
sine-plot.gif

EDIT -- Merlin types faster than I do! :smile:

Attachments

• sine-plot.gif
    sine-plot.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 2,023
b.) PD= (10-x)-x= 10-2x
c.) Constructive interference occurs when PD= mλ. So, x=-(mλ)/20.
The calculation for x went wrong. If you start from mλ = 10 - 2x, you don't get x = -(mλ)/20.

Chandra Prayaga said:
The calculation for x went wrong. If you start from mλ = 10 - 2x, you don't get x = -(mλ)/20.
Thank you! I suspected there was an algebra error somewhere!

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.:smile:

For EM waves, use the velocity c. For sound waves, use the speed of sound for the velocity. Makes sense?

And you get constructive interference when the path length difference is a multiple of 2π, not just π. You can see that by looking at the plot of a sinusoidal waveform. See how the wave repeats itself every 2π? If you add two waves that are π apart in phase, they cancel each other out. Can you see that now? :smile:

ADD -- Sorry, I mistread your post. You did say when the PD is a multiple of the wavelength, not of π.

https://betterexplained.com/wp-content/uploads/sine/sine-plot.gif
View attachment 216958

EDIT -- Merlin types faster than I do! :smile:
Thank you for both the welcome and the explanation!

Likes berkeman
Thank you very much! :D

What is constructive interference?

Constructive interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves of the same frequency and amplitude overlap, resulting in a larger amplitude in the combined wave.

How does constructive interference differ from destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when the peaks and troughs of two or more waves align, resulting in a larger amplitude. Destructive interference, on the other hand, occurs when the peaks of one wave align with the troughs of another, resulting in a cancellation of the waves.

What are some real-life examples of constructive interference?

One example of constructive interference is the formation of standing waves in musical instruments, such as a guitar or flute. Another example is the interference patterns created by water waves in a ripple tank. Additionally, constructive interference can be seen in noise-canceling headphones, where sound waves from the environment are cancelled out by the addition of an opposite wave.

How is constructive interference used in practical applications?

Constructive interference is used in many practical applications, such as in telecommunications to amplify signals and reduce noise. It is also used in the medical field, specifically in ultrasound imaging, to enhance the clarity of images. Constructive interference is also utilized in the production of holograms and other forms of 3D imaging.

What factors affect the degree of constructive interference?

The degree of constructive interference is affected by several factors, including the frequency and amplitude of the waves, the distance between the sources, and the medium through which the waves are traveling. The angle of incidence and the phase difference between the waves also play a role in determining the degree of constructive interference.