Electromagnetic Wave Prob. (Is this a typo/error?)

In summary, the conversation is about a potential error in the solution to an E&M problem in a textbook. The person who posted the image believes there is a math error in the solution and is questioning if the official solution is wrong. Another person clarifies that the modulus is indeed 'a' and asks who is responsible for the error. The original person realizes they made a mistake in referring to the book's author as 'they' and corrects themselves. The conversation ends with another person mentioning that typos in textbooks are not uncommon.
WolfOfTheSteps
Electromagnetic Wave Prob. (Is this a typo/error??)

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/4536/errorko2.th.jpg

This is the book's solution to an E&M problem. I typed in the part that is enclosed by a red box.

Am I not correct, and the "official" solution is wrong?!?

It's basically a math error, but I can't believe they made it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the modulus is clearly 'a'. Who is 'they'?

Dick said:
Yes, the modulus is clearly 'a'. Who is 'they'?

The book's author! :eek: (I should have said "he")

Last edited:
Wolf of the Ste said:
The book's author! :eek: (I should have said "he")

It's not necessarily the books author that writes the solutions-- it was probably one of his grad students! Anyway, books have loads of typos in; it's nothing new!

1. What is an electromagnetic wave?

An electromagnetic wave is a type of energy that is created by the movement of electrically charged particles. It consists of oscillating electric and magnetic fields that travel through space at the speed of light.

2. How are electromagnetic waves created?

Electromagnetic waves are created when electrically charged particles become accelerated. This can happen through a variety of processes such as the movement of electrons in an antenna or the vibration of atoms in a heated object.

3. What are the properties of electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves have several properties including wavelength, frequency, amplitude, and speed. They also have the ability to travel through a vacuum and can be reflected, refracted, and diffracted.

4. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible frequencies of electromagnetic radiation. It includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

5. How are electromagnetic waves used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic waves have a wide range of applications in everyday life, such as in communication technologies like radio and television, as well as in medical imaging and treatments. They are also used in household appliances, transportation systems, and many other industries.