1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the components of an electromagnetic wave

1. Mar 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An electromagnetic planewave (non-monochromatic) propagates in vacuum along the positive x axis. The electric field vector is parallel to the y axis. We know the dependence of the component [itex]E_y[/itex] on the variable [itex]x[/itex] at the moment [itex]t = 0[/itex]:

[itex]E_y(x) = E_0\ \text{if}\ |x + a| < b[/itex]
    [itex]E_y(x) = 0\ \text{if}\ |x + a| > b[/itex]

[itex]a/2 > b > 0[/itex]

An ideal plane mirror is placed at [itex]x = 0[/itex]. Find the components of the electric and magnetic field as functions of the variable at the following time instants: [itex]t_1 = a/2c,\ t_2 = a/c,\ t_3 = 2a/c[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

One dimensional electromagnetic planewave propagating in the positive x direction:

[itex]E = E(x - ct)[/itex]
    [itex]B= (1/c)E[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

As the wave propagates in the x direction, and the electric field is in the y direction, the magnetic field only has a nonzero component in the z direction. So all I have to do is find the [itex]E_y[/itex] behavior at the given times and multiply it by [itex]1/c[/itex].

Let [itex]a = ct[/itex]. Then, for any time greater than zero, the electric field is null, because [itex]a[/itex] is always greater than [itex]b[/itex], and [itex]x[/itex] is always positive, so [itex]|x + a|[/itex] has to be greater than [itex]b[/itex]. So it is a wave that exists only when [itex]t = 0[/itex] for certain values of [itex]x[/itex], and vanishes for any [itex]t > 0[/itex] or any [itex]x > b[/itex]. But what is the purpose of a exercise like this if the wave does not exist at the given times?

Am I wrong? How can I use the information about the mirror?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2014 #2
    Anyone? I asked my professor about this question, and he said to me that [itex]|x + a|[/itex] is the distance between the mirror and the wave, centered at [itex]a[/itex], and [itex]2b[/itex] is the lenght of the wave. But now I am even more confused.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted