Electromagnetic Wave Theory - Jin Kong

In summary: The book "Field Theory of Guided Waves" by Collin is a great book for those interested in EM wave theory. It is a very large book, but it covers a lot of ground that other books don't and has a wonderful chapter on Green's functions. The antenna book by Elliot is also great and more "first principles" than some of the standards.
cmos
Anybody have any experience with this book? It seems to be the standard in several graduate E&M courses in the EE dept. at MIT; custom published by them too. Is it just bound lecture notes or does it serve as a stand alone textbook? How does it compare to the "standards" such as Jackson and Balanis?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am merely acquainted with the book, but since no one else is posting I'll tell you what I know of it.

The first chapter or two are actually suitable for undergraduate engineering courses on EM waves (includes transmission lines), but after that the book is surely at a graduate level. Coverage is pretty broad, including relativity, propagation and scattering of waves, and radiation (antennas, Cerenkov, ...). But the book definitely has an engineering bent. Some of the problems are pretty challenging, and answers to some of the problems are in the book as well.

Overall, it is a little harder read than Balanis, and assumes more mathematical skill as well. Kong uses complex variable methods, including asymptotic expansions, and the "Watson Transform" (useful for investigating creeping waves that get excited when a wave scatters from a cylinder). Balanis seems better organized to me, however, and goes through example in each coordinate system in a very methodical manner. Kong assumes you can do some fo that for yourself. Kong is roughly on par with Jackson, but during the little time I spent with Kong, I found that I liked Jackson's writing better (although Kong covers a better set of topics for me). I must say that the ugly font in Kong's book may have influence my opinion!

If you are looking for another graduate engineering EM book, Kong is a good book to check out. But I don't think I would recommend it if it will be you only such book.

jason

Thanks for the info, Jason. I'm basically interested in looking for books that either have additional topics not usually covered in the standard texts or give some sort of idiosyncratic, but useful, discussion on specific topics. To give you an idea of what I mean, I've been recently perusing through the titles in the IEEE Series on EM Wave Theory.

Anybody else have anything to say about Kong's book?

cmos said:
Thanks for the info, Jason. I'm basically interested in looking for books that either have additional topics not usually covered in the standard texts or give some sort of idiosyncratic, but useful, discussion on specific topics. To give you an idea of what I mean, I've been recently perusing through the titles in the IEEE Series on EM Wave Theory.
QUOTE]

Then Kong's book probably fits the bill for you.

In the IEEE series, I really like Collin's "field theory of guided waves" if you are interested in such topics. It is a giant book, but covers a lot of ground that I haven't seen in other textbooks and has a wonderful chapter on Green's functions - the only Green's function discussion that I like better is the one in Dudley's "mathematcal foundations for electromagnetic theory". Elliot's antenna book in the series is also really good, and more "first-principles" than some of the standards.

good luck,

jason

As a fellow scientist, I have not personally used Jin Kong's book on Electromagnetic Wave Theory. However, from my research, I can say that it is highly regarded in the field and is often used as a textbook in graduate E&M courses at top institutions like MIT. This suggests that it is a comprehensive and well-written resource for understanding the principles of electromagnetic wave theory.

From what I have gathered, the book is not simply a compilation of lecture notes, but rather a standalone textbook that covers the fundamental concepts and applications of electromagnetic wave theory in depth. It is also custom published by MIT, which further solidifies its credibility and relevance in the academic community.

In terms of how it compares to other commonly used textbooks, such as Jackson and Balanis, it seems to offer a unique perspective and may have a different approach to teaching the material. However, all three books are highly respected in the field and can be valuable resources for understanding electromagnetic wave theory.

Overall, based on its use in top graduate courses and its custom publication by MIT, I would say that Jin Kong's Electromagnetic Wave Theory is a reputable and comprehensive textbook that is worth considering for anyone interested in this topic.

1. What is electromagnetic wave theory?

Electromagnetic wave theory is a scientific explanation of how electromagnetic waves, such as light and radio waves, behave and interact with matter. It is based on the principles of electromagnetism, which describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields.

2. Who is Jin Kong and what is his contribution to electromagnetic wave theory?

Jin Kong is a Chinese-American physicist who is known for his contributions to the study of electromagnetic wave theory. He has developed new methods for understanding and analyzing electromagnetic waves in complex materials, and has made significant contributions to the field of metamaterials.

3. How are electromagnetic waves generated?

Electromagnetic waves are generated when electrically charged particles, such as electrons, accelerate. This acceleration creates changes in the electric and magnetic fields, which then propagate outward as a wave.

4. What are some practical applications of electromagnetic wave theory?

Electromagnetic wave theory has numerous practical applications, including in telecommunications, remote sensing, medical imaging, and energy generation. It is also essential for understanding the properties of materials and designing new technologies, such as invisibility cloaks and high-speed data transfer devices.

5. How does electromagnetic wave theory relate to other theories in physics?

Electromagnetic wave theory is closely related to other theories in physics, such as quantum mechanics and relativity. It helps to explain the behavior of light and other electromagnetic waves, which are fundamental to our understanding of the universe and play a crucial role in many physical phenomena.