Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic waves and dak matter

1. May 25, 2006 #1
    I know that electromagentic waves do not need any type of medium, but why wouldn't it be possible for dak matter to act as a medium for waves such as light?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

People don't know what dark matter is, but it generally presumed to be particle in nature and have no interaction with photons.
  4. May 26, 2006 #3
    it is not considered matter, yet its called dark matter?
  5. May 26, 2006 #4

Gold Member

6. May 30, 2006 #5
    while listening to an interview with Dr. Michio Kaku, he refers to dark matter as not being matter at all. So what is it?
  7. May 30, 2006 #6
    Could dark matter act as a luminiferous aether?
  8. Jun 1, 2006 #7

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The main thing physicists know about dark matter is that it is NOT made of ordinary (baryonic) matter, i.e. atoms with nuclei made up of protons and neutrons, with electrons sorrounding the nuclei. Dark matter manifests itself by gravity only. It does not intereact with ordinary matter or photons.
  9. Jun 1, 2006 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

No. It is not "baryonic matter', but is a substance, presumably particles, and can't contitute a luminiferous ether any more that hydrogen can.

There are various theories about what particles might constitute dark matter, but the few things we know about it rule out the particles we know. For example neutrinos meet the "non-baryonic" criterion, but it seems they are too "hot", i.e. they move too fast, to qualify.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?