Electromagnetism and light bulbs

In summary, the conversation discussed two ways to make a bulb glow without changing the circuit: by increasing and decreasing the current flowing through the first circuit, and by using an AC generator to produce AC current. Both of these methods induce a magnetic field in the bar magnet, which then induces a current in the second coil to light the bulb. The conversation also clarified that closing the switch in the first circuit is allowed.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Here's an image of the circuit : http://gyazo.com/b313887dea7780e1226fcc8d4796a63d

1. Explain two ways to make the bulb glow without changing the circuit.
2. Explain why an AC generator replacing the battery could also make the bulb glow.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This question is a bit vague, so I wanted to see if I was thinking about this properly.

1. The question says "without changing the circuit". Does that also include the fact I can't close the switch in the first circuit?

If I can close the switch in the first circuit I think I know how to answer this.

If the switch is closed in the first circuit, then increasing current will start flowing through the coils. These coils will induce a magnetic field in the bar magnet which in turn will induce a current in the second coil which will light the bulb.

This increasing current can only continue for so long without blowing the circuit. Eventually the current stops increasing and the magnetic field won't be induced anymore.

So by decreasing the current flowing through the first circuit, we can again induce the magnetic field in the bar magnet which will induce a current in the second coil. This will light the bulb once again until the current decreases to zero. Then we would have to increase the current again to get the magnetic field to come back.

2. An AC generator would produce AC current. AC current is always changing which is the exact condition we need to induce a magnetic field in the bar magnet. This magnetic field will induce a current in the second coil which can be used to light the bulb indefinitely ( until the filament blows ).

Are these okay or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. The question says "without changing the circuit". Does that also include the fact I can't close the switch in the first circuit?
I think you are allowed to close the switch.

Are these okay or am I missing something?
Looks good.

Likes 1 person
mfb said:
I think you are allowed to close the switch.

Looks good.

Thanks :) it really threw me off when they said don't change the circuit.

1. How do light bulbs work?

Light bulbs work by using a filament, typically made of tungsten, that is heated by an electrical current. As the filament heats up, it emits light and produces the familiar glow of a light bulb.

2. What is the role of electromagnetism in light bulbs?

Electromagnetism is crucial in the functioning of light bulbs. The electrical current flowing through the filament creates a magnetic field which in turn causes the filament to heat up and emit light. Without this process, light bulbs would not be able to produce light.

3. Can light bulbs produce other colors besides white?

Yes, light bulbs can produce a variety of colors by using different types of filaments and coatings on the inside of the bulb. For example, a red coating on the inside of a bulb will produce a red light when the filament is heated.

4. How does the wattage of a light bulb affect its brightness?

The wattage of a light bulb is directly related to its brightness. The higher the wattage, the more electricity is flowing through the filament, causing it to emit more light and appear brighter. However, using a higher wattage bulb than what is recommended for a fixture can be dangerous and may cause the bulb to burn out quickly.

5. Do energy-saving light bulbs use electromagnetism?

Yes, energy-saving light bulbs, such as LED and CFL bulbs, use electromagnetism in a different way than traditional incandescent bulbs. These bulbs use electrical currents to excite electrons in a semiconductor material, which then emit light. This process is more energy-efficient and produces less heat than traditional bulbs.