Electromagnetism by Pollack and Stump

In summary, "Electromagnetism" by Gerald L. Pollack and Daniel R. Stump is a comprehensive textbook on electromagnetism that requires a calculus-based intro physics background and a year of calculus. The book covers the history and perspective of electromagnetism, vector calculus, electrostatics, electric currents, magnetostatics, electromagnetic induction, the Maxwell equations, and more. It also explores the relationship between electromagnetism and relativity, optics, and radiation of electromagnetic waves. According to a physics professor, the book is similar in coverage to Griffiths and can adequately prepare readers for Jackson, assuming they have the necessary mathematics background.

For those who have used this book

• Strongly recommend

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Lightly recommend

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Lightly don't recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Strongly don't recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Contents

Code:
[list]
[*] History and Perspective
[*] Vector Calculus
[*] Basic Principles of Electrostatics
[*] Electrostatics and Conductors
[*] General Methods for Laplace's Equation
[*] Electrostatics and Dielectrics
[*] Electric Currents
[*] Magnetostatics
[*] Magnetic Fields and Matter
[*] Electromagnetic Induction
[*] The Maxwell Equations
[*] Electromagnetism and Relativity
[*] Electromagnetism and Optics
[*] Wave Guides and Transmission Lines
[*] Radiation of Electromagnetic Wavves
[/list]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone know how this book compares to Griffith, would I miss out on anything? Would I be adequately prepared for Jackson after going through every chapter of this book? (assuming I have the mathematics needed)

I don't have my copy of P&S any more, so I can't compare them directly, but IIRC it's pretty similar to Griffiths in coverage. One of the other physics profs here used it for our intermediate E&M course for a while when he taught it.

Likes Incand

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the interaction between electrically charged particles and magnetic fields. It explains how electric and magnetic forces work together to create electromagnetic waves, which are essential for many modern technologies.

2. Who are Pollack and Stump?

Pollack and Stump are physicists who made significant contributions to the field of electromagnetism. They are best known for their work on the mathematical formulation of Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

3. What are the applications of electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism has a wide range of applications in our daily lives. It is used in the generation of electricity, motors, and generators. It is also essential for telecommunications, as it enables the transmission of radio waves, television signals, and cellular phone calls. Other applications include medical imaging, particle accelerators, and magnetic levitation systems.

4. How does electromagnetism relate to other branches of physics?

Electromagnetism is closely related to other branches of physics, such as mechanics and thermodynamics. The behavior of electric and magnetic fields can be described using principles of mechanics, such as force and motion. Electromagnetic waves also follow the laws of thermodynamics, which govern the transfer of energy between systems.

5. What are some current research areas in electromagnetism?

Some current research areas in electromagnetism include the development of new materials with unique electromagnetic properties, such as metamaterials and superconductors. There is also ongoing research in the areas of wireless power transfer, quantum information processing, and the use of electromagnetism in medical treatments.