Electromechanical Systems: Determine the voltage across a moving coil

In summary, the problem involves two mutually coupled coils with inductances L11 and L22 both equal to 3 + 2/3x (mH) and mutual inductances L12 and L21 both equal to 1/3x (mH), where x is in meters. The first question asks for the mutual electrical force between the coils at x = 0.01 m when i1 = 5 A dc and i2 = 0. The second question asks for the voltage across the second coil at x = 0.01 m when i1 = 5 A dc and the second coil is open-circuited and moved in the positive x-direction at a constant speed of 20 m
Yuuichirou
New user has been reminded to show their work when posting schoolwork problems at the PF
Homework Statement
Figure shows two mutually coupled coils, for which

L11= L22 = 3 + 2/3x (mH)
L12 = L21 = 1/3x (mH)

where x is in meters, (a) If i1 = 5 A dc and i2 = 0, what is the mutual electrical force between the coils at x = 0.01 m? ( b ) If i1 = 5 A dc and the second coil is open-circuited and moved in the positive x -direction at a constant speed of 20 m/s, determine the voltage across the second coil at x = 0.01 m.
Relevant Equations
Fe = 1/2 i² ∂l/∂x
Homework Statement: Figure shows two mutually coupled coils, for which

L11= L22 = 3 + 2/3x (mH)
L12 = L21 = 1/3x (mH)

where x is in meters, (a) If i1 = 5 A dc and i2 = 0, what is the mutual electrical force between the coils at x = 0.01 m? ( b ) If i1 = 5 A dc and the second coil is open-circuited and moved in the positive x -direction at a constant speed of 20 m/s, determine the voltage across the second coil at x = 0.01 m.
Homework Equations: Fe = 1/2 i² ∂l/∂x

Sem título.png

How can I solve this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. How does a moving coil in an electromechanical system produce voltage?

When a magnetic field is applied to a moving coil, it induces a current in the coil due to Faraday's Law of electromagnetic induction. This current then produces a voltage across the coil.

2. What is the relationship between the voltage and the speed of the moving coil?

The voltage produced by a moving coil is directly proportional to its speed. As the speed of the coil increases, the voltage across it also increases.

3. Can the direction of the voltage across the moving coil be reversed?

Yes, the direction of the voltage across a moving coil can be reversed by changing the direction of the magnetic field or by changing the direction of the coil's motion.

4. How can the voltage across a moving coil be measured?

The voltage across a moving coil can be measured using a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected in parallel to the coil and measures the potential difference between two points on the coil.

5. What factors can affect the voltage produced by a moving coil in an electromechanical system?

The voltage produced by a moving coil can be affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the coil, the number of turns in the coil, and the resistance of the coil.