Electron arrangement and ionisation energy

• B
  • Thread starter Gajan1234
  • Start date
Why is it easier to remove an electron from p orbital than s orbital. I thought P orbital have higher energy so more energy is require to remove a electron from P orbital.

Answers and Replies

Why is it easier to remove an electron from p orbital than s orbital. I thought P orbital have higher energy so more energy is require to remove a electron from P orbital.

look at the energy level diagram of any atom- the ground state is the lowest one and are usually l=0 i.e. s state -in chemistry people call it orbital.

higher than s is a p-state ,then d,e,f, etc are placed.
but atom is a bound state of electron with nucleus - a bound state has its total energy -ve otherwise the electron will be free.
So the diagram is like a well with energy values rising downward top most is E=0.

For example H-atom ground s =state is at -13.6 eV so all p,d states will be above this value
-less negative than the ground so it will be easier to take out an electron from a P-state rather than S-state.

just like it is easier to pull water from a shallow well rather than a deeper well. so less energy will be required for a p-state electron to get it to E=0 rather than a lower S-state which is deeper.

Likes entropy1 and Gajan1234