Electron-Hole- or Many-Electron Exchange Interaction

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of electron-hole exchange energy and the desire for a proof of its working and symmetry. The Universal Hamiltonian of the Exchange Interaction is mentioned as a potential source, but it does not explicitly mention electron-hole exchange. The conversation also mentions specific experiments and theories related to this topic, but the individual is seeking more general literature on the subject. The concept of a hole and the role of paired electrons in electron-hole exchange are also discussed.
Nabla94
Hello together,

I'm interested in the electron-hole exchange energy. I would like to see how and have a proof why electron-hole exchange works. Is it symmetric or antisymmetric? More specific, I would like to have a proof that exchange with paired electrons in a molecule can be neglected. However - the more general the better.

In order to proof it, one probably has to regard the many-electron exchange interaction. I found
The Universal Hamiltonian of the Exchange Interaction for the System of Particles with an Arbitrary Spin j - E. Orlenko (2007)
but I don't quite get the notation and they do not mention electron-hole exchange.

I'm grateful for any hint, help or tip for literature.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nabla94 said:
I'm interested in the electron-hole exchange energy.

Where are you getting the concept of "electron-hole exchange" from, and what kinds of experiments are you referring to?

Electron-hole exchange interaction in a biexciton molecule - W.Ungier (1989)
Effective Theory of Electron-Hole Exchange in Semiconductor Quantum Dots - E. S. Kadantsev (2010)

Both are a bit too specific for me.
The triplet-singlet energy splitting in conjugated molecules results from the exchange between them.
Actually, this exchange is a many-electron exchange but
1) The concept of a hole should be able to also deal with the exchange, right?
2) Paired electrons should not contribute too much, since the exchange with one cancelles the other.

1. What is electron-hole exchange interaction?

Electron-hole exchange interaction is a phenomenon in solid-state physics where an electron and a hole (an empty state where an electron can exist) interact with each other through their exchange of spin states.

2. How does electron-hole exchange interaction affect the properties of a material?

This interaction can lead to changes in the optical, electrical, and magnetic properties of a material, as it affects the energy levels and spin states of the electrons and holes present.

3. What is the difference between electron-hole exchange interaction and many-electron exchange interaction?

Electron-hole exchange interaction involves the exchange of spin states between an electron and a hole, while many-electron exchange interaction involves the exchange of spin states between multiple electrons.

4. Can electron-hole exchange interaction be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, electron-hole exchange interaction can be controlled and manipulated through external factors such as temperature, pressure, and electric or magnetic fields.

5. In what types of materials is electron-hole exchange interaction most commonly observed?

Electron-hole exchange interaction is most commonly observed in semiconductors and insulators, as these materials have a large number of electron-hole pairs present due to their band structure.