1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron in a Finite Square Well

1. Mar 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An electron in a finite square well has 6 distinct energy levels. If the finite square well is 10nm long determine:

a) Approximate the possible values for the depth of the finite square well ##V_0##.
    b) Using a well depth value in the middle of the results obtained from part a) find the energy when the electron is in the ##n=3## state.
    c) For the ##n=3## state determine the un-normalized wave function
    d)For ##-20nm<x<20nm## draw the ##n=3## wave function
    e) For ##-20nm<x<20nm## draw the probability function

2. Relevant equations
    ##-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2\psi(x)}{dx^2}+V(x)\psi(x)=E\psi(x)##

3. The attempt at a solution

Part a) of the question is somewhat tedious and involves solving transcendental equations, I essentially just followed how they solved it on this site which gave me the the possible range for the depth of the finite square well to be ##V_0=0.0237eV## to ##V_0=0.0333eV##

Now for part b), taking the average of these gives ##V_0=0.0285eV## although I'm not sure how I can use this to find the energy of the electron in the n=3 state. In my textbook they seem to use the equation ##E_n=n^2\frac{\pi^2\hbar^2}{2mL^2}## which doesn't seem to mention the potential at all.

plot.PNG

From the plot I've listed the coordinates of the n=3 intersection in case that's useful. The lines are: ##y=-\mbox{cot}(x)##, ##y=\tan(x)##, and ##y=\sqrt{(\frac{8.648}{x})^2-1}## where ##8.648=\mu=L\sqrt{\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}V_0}##

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2016 #2
    Well i saw your refereed treatment and i think its exact and Transcendental equations are are not a problem as it solves graphically the two relations obtained from applying the boundary conditions at the walls of the well-
    As you wish to have six possible eigen states the well depth will have a bounding value that you have to calculate and taking half does not mean thay one can get the three-
    The above calculations are well known in case of nuclear potentials also-say deutreron in a finite well - however if well depth is large compared to energies involved then approximations can be made giving simpler results for energy values.
    my advise is to follow your referred site-

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted