Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron interference in double-slit experiment

1. Sep 1, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I have problem with electron interference in double-slit experiment.Does the electron pass two slit at the same time or physicist just try to justify the electron's behavior by using wave matter?

Is any one help me?
    Of course,My backgroud is that I'm under graduated in physics.
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2008 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The 2 slit problem for the electron is the same as that for the photon. A light source can be set up to release 1 photon at a time and the diffraction pattern still results. As Feynman has been reported to have said (approximately) "Anyone who says he understands quantum theory doesn't know what he is talking about".

4. Sep 3, 2008 #3
    Thanks mathman for your reply.But what do you mean?
    I think physicists prepare some concepts to explain experimnet's results in such way which nobody can find their mistakes.

5. Sep 3, 2008 #4
    The answer is that, empirically speaking, the electron behaves as though it were a wave that passed through both slits, but behaves as a particle in that it arrives at only a single point on the detector.

That's really the best we can say with absolute certainty. Anything further delves into interpretation, which provides explanation for the results but (generally) no new empirical or testable predictions.

Put another way: whether the electron really does pass through both slits or not is irrelevant; the results indicate that it did, and there's no way to prove it did not (without altering the results).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?