Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron mass density approaches infinity?

1. Oct 8, 2008 #1
    The electron is traditionally considered a point particle with finite mass. Does this indicate that the electron might have near infinite mass density?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2008 #2
    no. its just a simplification. the uncertainty principle would cause it to have finite radius.

4. Oct 8, 2008 #3

clem

Science Advisor

"Mass density" or "charge density" cannot be defined for a point particle.

5. Oct 8, 2008 #4

ibc

I don't think anyone knows yet what is really going on there, but if nowadays' theories are correct, and all elementary parcticles are point parcticles, there is indeed no meaning to density in the parcticle scale, it's just our way to express the forces particles apply on each other on the macroscopic scale.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  6. Oct 9, 2008 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

That doesn't sound right to me. What would that radius be?

7. Oct 9, 2008 #6
    There are published measurements of electron charge densities. That means the theory has been accepted, don't you think ? There are published measurements of Wigner distributions for photons in cavities. Even for massive extreme relativistic systems, such as light quarks confined in hadrons, the concepts of "mass/energy density", "angular momentum density", or "force densities" do make sense.

For instance :
    "Tomographic theory for obtaining Wigner distribution for an electron in uniform magnetic field"
    Phys. Lett. A301 (2002) 153

"Direct Measurement of the Wigner Function of a One-Photon Fock State in a Cavity"
    Phys. Rev. Lett. 89 (2002) 200402

"Generalized parton distributions and strong forces inside nucleons and nuclei"
    Phys.Lett. B555 (2003) 57

8. Oct 9, 2008 #7

ibc

I too don't know where he is going with this, but I believe he meant the "radios" of how far the particle can be

9. Oct 10, 2008 #8

clem

Science Advisor

I think some people have confused the spread of a wave function with a property of a particle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?