1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron moving through a uniform magnetic field

1. Jun 22, 2009 #1
    The Problem:
    An electron moves with speed 9.00 105 m/s in a uniform magnetic field of 2.0 T, pointing south. At one instant, the electron experiences an upward magnetic force of 2.00 10-14 N. In what possible directions might the electron be moving at that instant? Give your answers as angles clockwise from south (from 0° to 360°), in increasing degrees.

The only equation needed should be F= lql * VBsin(theta)

I used the above equation and found the angle to be 3.98° counterclockwise of South. So my first answer was 360-3.98=356.02° (which was correct). My problem came with finding the angle at the second position. I initially thought that it would be 180-3.98, but, through guess work, I found that the correct answer is 180+3.98= 183.98. I'm not sure why this is right.

Can someone help me understand the concept behind the second possible position of the electron?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi bioradical! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    Because what matters is sinθ.

sin(180º + θ), which was your first try, is minus sinθ (so the force would have to be down) …

but sin(180º - θ) is sinθ :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook