1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron-positron pair creation by weak interaction?

1. Dec 17, 2008 #1
    Hello,
    Im trying to find out if, since an electron positron pair can anhillate to produce a muon-anti muon pair by the weak interaction, can the same thing occur for the production of an electron/anti-electron pair? Or would it just happen by the electromagnetic force? Or both, with the weak being supressed? And are the photons/ Z0 bosons involved real or virtual?
    I feel as if I am asking a question I should know the answer to and being silly, but any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2008 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

e+e- -> e+e- via Virtual Z^0 is ok.

4. Dec 17, 2008 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

It's simply very rare because the mass of the Z_0 suppresses the cross section. I think some experiments do study contributions from Z_0 exchange in certain processes (maybe even e+e- scattering), as tiny corrections to a pure photon-exchange model.

5. Dec 18, 2008 #4
    Thanks, thats very helpful!

6. Dec 18, 2008 #5
    The technical term for this process is "Bhabha scattering":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhabha_scattering

If the electron and the positron are nearly at rest, Z contribution is significantly suppressed because the intermediate virtual Z is way off mass-shell. At high energies, both are important. At CM ~ 90 GeV, Z exchange will most likely dominate.

7. Dec 18, 2008 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Indeed, the old Large Electron Positron (LEP) collider was originally designed for a CM energy in that range, specifically to produce the Z_0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?