1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron Proton Collisions and Electron Capture

1. Jan 7, 2008 #1
    What is the difference between electron capture, and electron-proton collions?

My textbook has the feynman diagram of electron capture as a proton decaying into a neutron, and the proton emmiting a W+ boson, which is recieved by an electron, which then decays into a neutrino.

However, the electron proton collision has an electron decaying into a neutrino and the electron emitting a W- boson, which the proton recieves, which decays into a neutron.

Obviously, rather than proton and neutron, up and down quarks can be used in the above.

Why is there this difference in the two processes?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2008 #2
    That's a helluva intro physics class, eh? :)

Seeing as how I hate particle physics, my answer is probably a bit biased, but I would assume the reason is because IT'S ALL A BUNCH OF BS >_>

seriously though, I know electron capture is an event that takes place in the nuclei of atoms, so I would wager the electron-proton collision is a similar event that takes place outside the nucleus. Assuming there IS a difference besides the very fundamental one you described

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?