Electron wave function collapse

In summary, the width of the energy levels in an atom is related to the amount of time it takes for the states to interact with the environment.
phil ess
As far as I understand it, an electron exists as a probability cloud around an atom, representing all the possible places it could be. Then when we make an observation the wave function collapses to one point where we see the electron. So what happens if we keep looking at it? Does the elctron jump around randomly between different positions? I don't imagine it would just stay in the same place, but what does it do?

Sorry if I have worded the question poorly, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I can understand the description for a theoretically isolated atom in a vacuum...but not for one in the real world...

Wikipedia says

The quantum Zeno effect is the suppression of unitary time evolution caused by quantum decoherence in quantum systems provided by a variety of sources: measurement, interactions with the environment

I just got done reading elsewhere that decoherence and entropy go hand in hand, inexorably, as nature constantly disperses information and samples just about everything via decohence with the environment...information is dispersed, entropy increases, in fact it can't be stopped in any pratical way.

So I would have thought that for certain a typical electron in an atom would be undergoing near constant decoherence from interactions/samplings with the environment... nature "measures" everything all the time what with photons, gravitons, cosmic rays, vibrations, TV signals,etc bombarding everything...so how do we suppose an electron in the real world would not be closely coupled to it? How can it stay in an uncertain "cloud".

For example, a conductor of electricity with impressed voltage has no problem picking the loosly bound electrons for transport to a neighbor...it's not like a tightly bound one pops up and moves along...the loosely bound outer shell electrons sure know who they are!

Naty1 said:
So I would have thought that for certain a typical electron in an atom would be undergoing near constant decoherence from interactions/samplings with the environment...

Correct. Although, it is the state of the electron that is being "measured"; not the electron itself (an electron bound to an ion is not free so you can't think of it as an independent particle in this context).
Anyway, the fact that the states interacts with the environment (even if it is only the vacuum) is the reason why real energy levels in atoms have a non-zero width (which in turn is why you can see lines in spectroscopy); the width of the level in frequency is simply given by 1/lifetime.
However, the coherence times for most states in atoms are pretty long so in most calculations we can model the levels as being discrete.

f95toli said:
Anyway, the fact that the states interacts with the environment (even if it is only the vacuum) is the reason why real energy levels in atoms have a non-zero width (which in turn is why you can see lines in spectroscopy); the width of the level in frequency is simply given by 1/lifetime.
This is interesting but I'm not sure to have understood it well. Do you mean that the line's width of an atom's spectrum is in some way related with the void's energy?

1. What is electron wave function collapse?

Electron wave function collapse is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the phenomenon of a particle's wave function collapsing into a single state upon being measured or observed.

2. How does electron wave function collapse occur?

Electron wave function collapse occurs when a particle is measured or observed. This measurement or observation causes the particle's wave function, which describes its probabilistic behavior, to collapse into a single state.

3. Why is electron wave function collapse important?

Electron wave function collapse is important because it is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics, and it helps us understand the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale. It also has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography.

4. Does electron wave function collapse violate the laws of physics?

No, electron wave function collapse is not a violation of the laws of physics. It is a natural phenomenon that is explained by the principles of quantum mechanics. It may seem counterintuitive, but it is a well-established concept in the field of physics.

5. Can we control electron wave function collapse?

Currently, we do not have the ability to control electron wave function collapse. It is a spontaneous and unpredictable occurrence that is inherent to the behavior of particles at the quantum level. However, scientists are working on developing technologies that may allow for some degree of control in the future.