Electronics (Diodes + capacitors) questions

In summary: They used the following equation: i(t)=C\frac{dv(t)}{dt}=C\frac{-100}{dt}=0.The \mu sign is a prefix meaning "one-millionth."So if I use either of those formulas...I = C*(dV/dt)I = 10*(5/1)I = 50
Nauraushaun
I've been working through our physics book for year 12 Physics, and only just now when we've hit electronics has it really confused me. I'd like to be able to understand it before our current 2 week school break ends.
Perhaps the biggest flaw of the book is that it doesn't say how it got answers, it only says what the answer is.
So if I can get help with this, I might post a few more I'm having trouble with. Hopefully I'll be getting the hang of it very soon. When the teacher explains it to me in class I can get it, but it seems every question I hit has some new element that the book has never explained.

Homework Statement

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/9649/q11fg1.jpg
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/308/q12pj6.jpg

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked at the answer in the book, it's something very similar to this:
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/2451/q1atp0.jpg
I tried to find the numbers they got, but the only thing I could thing of was C=Q/V, and I don't have a C or a Q to put in there.
And the graph confused me.
I'm not sure how they got the numbers they got, why the graph does what it does, or what that little U symbol means.
Could someone please explain how and why for me? Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nauraushaun said:
I've been working through our physics book for year 12 Physics, and only just now when we've hit electronics has it really confused me. I'd like to be able to understand it before our current 2 week school break ends.
Perhaps the biggest flaw of the book is that it doesn't say how it got answers, it only says what the answer is.
So if I can get help with this, I might post a few more I'm having trouble with. Hopefully I'll be getting the hang of it very soon. When the teacher explains it to me in class I can get it, but it seems every question I hit has some new element that the book has never explained.

Homework Statement

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/9649/q11fg1.jpg
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/308/q12pj6.jpg

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked at the answer in the book, it's something very similar to this:
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/2451/q1atp0.jpg
I tried to find the numbers they got, but the only thing I could thing of was C=Q/V, and I don't have a C or a Q to put in there.
And the graph confused me.
I'm not sure how they got the numbers they got, why the graph does what it does, or what that little U symbol means.
Could someone please explain how and why for me? Thank you very much.

[tex]C = \frac{Q}{V}[/tex]
[tex]I = C\frac{dV}{dt}[/tex]
I = slope * C

Last edited by a moderator:
The current and voltage in a capacitor are related by a differential equation: [itex]i(t)=C\frac{dv(t)}{dt}[/itex]. Try to find this section in your book and study it.

The [itex]\mu[/itex] sign is a prefix meaning "one-millionth."

So if I use either of those formulas...
I = C*(dV/dt)
I = 10*(5/1)
I = 50
I get 50, mA I presume. But how did they get -100 as well, and the graph they've got?

1. What is a diode and how does it work?

A diode is a two-terminal electronic component that allows current to flow in only one direction. It works by having a p-n junction, where one side is positively charged (p-type) and the other side is negatively charged (n-type). This creates a depletion zone in the middle, which acts as a barrier to prevent current flow in the reverse direction.

2. What are the different types of diodes and their uses?

There are various types of diodes, including rectifier diodes, Zener diodes, Schottky diodes, and light-emitting diodes (LEDs). Rectifier diodes are used to convert AC to DC current, while Zener diodes are used for voltage regulation. Schottky diodes are commonly used in high-frequency circuits, and LEDs are used for lighting and display purposes.

3. How do you calculate the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor can be calculated by dividing the charge stored on one plate by the potential difference between the two plates. It can also be calculated by multiplying the permittivity of the dielectric material by the surface area of the plates and dividing by the distance between them.

4. What is the purpose of a capacitor in an electronic circuit?

A capacitor is used in electronic circuits to store and release electrical energy. It can act as a filter to smooth out voltage fluctuations, or as a timing element in circuits. Capacitors are also used in power supplies to store energy and provide a stable source of power to the circuit.

5. How do you test a diode or capacitor to see if it is functioning properly?

To test a diode, you can use a multimeter in diode mode. Place the positive lead on the anode (positive side) and the negative lead on the cathode (negative side). A functioning diode should have a low resistance in one direction and a high resistance in the opposite direction. To test a capacitor, you can use a multimeter in capacitance mode. Connect the positive and negative leads to the respective terminals of the capacitor and the multimeter will display the capacitance value. A functioning capacitor should have a capacitance value within its specified range.