Electrostatics - method of conformal mapping (from Landau)

In summary, the conversation is about studying Landau's Electrodynamics of continuous media and the difficulty of understanding a particular passage. The topic at hand is electrostatic field in a two-dimensional case and the use of vector potential to define it. The main equations of interest are the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which lead to the introduction of a complex function. The problem arises when trying to calculate the flux of the electric field through an equipotential line, which involves the potential A. The speaker is confused about the use of A at the "ends" of a closed contour and the relationship to the total charge enclosed by the contour.
diegzumillo
I'm studying Landau's Electordynamics of continuous media and, although I like how succinct it is, sometimes it is too succinct! I'm having trouble with a particular passage, so I'll just try to summarize the section up until the part I don't understand.

The topic at hand is electrostatic field for the particular case when the field is two dimensional, i.e. it depends only on, say, x and y. From [itex]\nabla . \vec E=0[/itex] we can define a vector potencial [itex]\vec A[/itex] such that [itex]\vec E=\nabla \times \vec A[/itex]. We are also imposing that [itex]\vec E[/itex] lies in the xy plane. Now in the text he says that A can be chosen in a way that it is perpendicular to the xy plane, and this is the first thing that I don't understand very well: if the E field does not change with z and has no component in z direction, how can A be anything other than perpendicular to xy plane? I can see no choice.

The main equations of interest here are the Cauchy-Riemann equations, that comes directly from divergence and rotational of E: (I'm also writing the vector potential as a scalar field, since it only has one component)

[tex]E_x = - \partial \phi / \partial x = \partial A / \partial y[/tex]
[tex]E_y = - \partial \phi / \partial y = \partial A / \partial x[/tex]

It can be shown from these relations that the complex quantity [itex]w=\phi -iA[/itex] is an analytic function of the complex argument [itex]z=x+iy[/itex]. This complex function is the core of the technique being introduced. If I understand this so far, that z is not related to the cartesian component.

Here comes my problem. We want to calculate the flux of the electric field through any section of an equipotential line, which is given by [itex]\oint E_n dl=-\oint (\partial \phi / \partial n)dl[/itex] and n is the normal direction. Using one of the above relations we can write this using the potential A:
[tex]\oint E_n dl=\oint (\partial A/ \partial l)dl[/tex]

So far I'm following, but then he writes
[tex]\oint E_n dl=\oint (\partial A/ \partial l)dl=A_2-A_1[/tex]
"where [itex]A_1[/itex] and [itex]A_2[/itex] are the values of [itex]A[/itex] at the ends of the section. In particular, since the the flux of the electric field through a closed contour is [itex]4\pi e[/itex], where e is the total charge enclosed by the contour per unit length of conductors perpendicular to the plane, it follows that [itex]e=(1/4\pi)\Delta A[/itex] "

He lost me there. The "ends" of a closed contour?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I guess he could be referring to a parametrization of the path

What is the method of conformal mapping in electrostatics?

The method of conformal mapping is a mathematical technique used to solve electrostatic problems. It involves mapping a complex region onto a simpler one, where the electrostatic potential can be easily calculated. This method is useful for analyzing the behavior of electric fields and charges in complex geometries.

How does conformal mapping help in solving electrostatic problems?

Conformal mapping allows us to transform a complicated electrostatic problem into a simpler one, where the solution is known. This simplifies the calculation of electric potentials and fields, making it easier to analyze the behavior of charges in complex geometries.

What are the benefits of using conformal mapping in electrostatics?

Conformal mapping has several benefits in electrostatics. It allows for the solution of complex problems using known solutions, simplifies the calculation process, and can provide a deeper understanding of the behavior of electric fields and charges in complicated geometries.

What are the limitations of conformal mapping in electrostatics?

Conformal mapping is limited to linear, isotropic, and stationary electrostatic problems. It cannot be applied to problems involving time-varying fields or nonlinear materials. Additionally, the accuracy of the results depends on the accuracy of the mapping function used.

How is the method of conformal mapping used in practical applications?

Conformal mapping is used in various practical applications, including the design of electronic circuits, analysis of electrostatic shielding, and the study of fluid dynamics. It is also used in the numerical solution of electrostatic problems, such as in computer simulations and modeling.